cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Moving house issue

Go to solution

Hello! I’ve spoken about this with 3 people from BT and had 2 different answers so I wondered if I could get some help in here.

I am moving into a ‘granny flat’ of sorts to help look after my grandad. It’s part of an existing address but I’d like to move my BT account over to it and have my own line and broadband connection so I can work from home (I have a year left on an 18 month contract). My grandad just has a line, no broadband.

The place I move in to doesn’t have a telephone line going into it so would need Open Reach to sort this. 

I’m moving in December so spoke to the BT moving team at the end of October to book a house move. They said everything would be ok, Open Reach would just need to go have a look at it. BT changed my package (from fibre to halo as the place I’m moving to isn’t in a fibre area) I then spoke to BT a few weeks later about it as the tracker hadn’t been updated. They said I would need to register the place I’m moving to with Royal Mail, but I’m confused with this because it’s the same address as my grandads. 

My mum then rang BT about an issue with her broadband and she mentioned my issue with the person she was speaking to and they said I wouldn’t have to register with Royal Mail and the first option should be fine.

So, is anyone able to give me a definitive answer on what I should do? 

Apologies if this is a common problem/question.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Moving house issue

Go to solution

It really depends what you want the end result to be, are you wanting to leave you Grandad's line as it is now with the same number and provider ? if so then you would need to ask BT to install a 2nd line at the property which typically comes with a cost.

Another option is you move the services and takeover the existing line, this means the phone number you Grandad has now would be changed, in most circumstances you can renumber but there's no guarantee it would work and there's a £26 charge for the change of number.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@jlh238 

Its sound like all you needed was an internal shift, not a home move, which is where the problem has occurred.

Not sure how to progress this, so I will ask a moderator to advise.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you for replying. 

My grandad wants to keep his line. I’d like to have my own line as the 3G/4G connection is pretty terrible (it’s in the countryside). 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I haven’t heard of an internal shift so intrigued to discover more about that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@jlh238 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I haven’t heard of an internal shift so intrigued to discover more about that.

Its where you want the entry point for your line to be moved, like when people build a porch or extension. In your case the entry point of your line would be moved to the annex. That would not involve any contract changes, and would be the simplest way forward.

I seem to think there is about a £130 charge for that.

Have you considered just extending your line into the annex via an internal extension, assuming the buildings are connected?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
I currently live in a flat in a separate town so would be moving from there into to the annexe. Would this still be an option?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @jlh238,

You are getting great information from both @Keith_Beddoe and @-Richie-.

I think that it would be best if we discussed exactly what you want to do. There's the possibility of losing your Grandad's number if this isn't done right. I don't want to see that happening. I'll send you a private message with some info that I'll need from you. Ideally, this would be best discussed over the phone or through our private messages.

Thanks
DanielS

Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
Thank you!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@jlh238 wrote:
I currently live in a flat in a separate town so would be moving from there into to the annexe. Would this still be an option?

No.

I think you are going to need an extra line.  @DanielS will help with this.