Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennywatts
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Moving house

Go to solution

I am moving out of my house and staying in a rental which already has a phone and broadband so I want to put (some) of my account on hold. I have Broadband, Landline and BT Sport products. I would still like to have access to BT sport on my laptop and obvs happy to pay for that but does anyone know how I freeze everything else until my new house is completed and ready to move into? Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving house

Go to solution

@jennywatts 

You would not be able to do that, unless you have a firm completion date, you would either have to keep paying for your connection, or cancel your services.

0 Ratings
jennywatts
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for replying to my post. I’ll have to cancel I guess as to keep paying would mean the people buying my house could potentially use my phone line?

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@jennywatts 

Many, (very many!), years ago I used to work in a telephone exchange. One of the "services" that we provided then was to TOS, (Temporary Out of Service), a line. This was usually done in the case of non-payment of bills and prevented outgoing calls, with incoming callers getting Number Unobtainable tone, (I think?).

I don't know what the modern equivalent of this is, but it might be worth enquiring if it is possible to keep paying, but voluntarily have the line taken out of service? If it is, then that may resolve your issue - albeit at a cost?

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@jennywatts 

Its not straightforward. Once new people move into your existing house, they will request service from a provider, and your line would be taken over, and your contract terminated. That could mean you are charged cancellation fees.

jennywatts
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Ah gotcha. Good point. Thanks for that.

0 Ratings
jennywatts
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution