Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosullivan73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Moving to non-fibre property

Go to solution

I’m a current BT customer and I’m moving soon. I went through the moving home process online, and was instructed to call to arrange. 

I've been told that I can’t move my existing services (BB, TV) to the new property (of 20 apartments) due it not being connected to fibre broadband. Only a standard phone line can be ‘transferred’ - and a further check said it was copper, and that I wouldn’t be able to get any other services other than a phone line from BT. The advisor said that broadband through that copper line wouldn’t be good enough to work from home. Which is what I would need it for. 

I was then advised to check other providers to see who can provide decent broadband and TV services to the property, but as I understand it the only other option is Virgin, as everyone else uses the same cables (?) Anyway, I called and can’t get Virgin there.

So, my question is can I get BT broadband if I have a BT phone line - surely I can??

(I'm in the process of trying to find out what the other 19 apartments use!)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
-Richie-
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving to non-fibre property

Go to solution

If BT can provide you with a phone line, they can provide you with broadband.
It might be a silver address, if the broadband can't be moved at the same time, get the line active and then add the broadband once live, there might even show fibre available once the line is active.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Enter your new address and post results. Remember delete address before posting

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cosullivan73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@Cosullivan73 

Nothing wrong with that, you must be very close to the exchange. Some "fibre" customers who are a long distance from the cabinet, do not get anything like 19.5Mbs.

Plenty of bandwidth to work from home.

Cosullivan73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe  Just checked, the exchange is literally across the road. 

So, I guess I need to get back on to BT and demand to move all my services to the new property. Or can I only do that once the line is active? 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Cosullivan73 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe  Just checked, the exchange is literally across the road. 

So, I guess I need to get back on to BT and demand to move all my services to the new property. Or can I only do that once the line is active? 

as @-Richie-  has said, you may need to order the phone line first. Once it is active, you can then order the broadband.

The reason for this, is because the routing does not exist on the Openreach database yet, so its just a "silver" address.

Cosullivan73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Ok. That’s certainly made things clearer, thanks for your help!

0 Ratings