cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiksilver1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Moving to virgin on the 22nd Aug - unavoidable £30 charge for pressing a button.

So, the guy on the phone told me that open reach set the charges, and i explained to BT outside my contract there are no legal obligations regarding charges because there is no longer a contract in place. 

The guy then said we just follow open reach charges. i kindly explained that whilst Open reach is no longer part of BT Retail, they are under no legal obligations to charge that £30 because it is very likely Open Reach do not charge BT retail when people move providers or disconnect their services. If someone could please show me where it costs £30 to press delete on someones account and press a button at the exchange.

The reason for this is because of the no charge policy for people who move somewhere where service cannot be provided by BT.

Charging people to leave a service outside of a contract is iffy all by itself, but then having policies inside a policy regarding the reasoning of your leaving BT to determine if you should pay or not makes it even more like a charge for the sake of charging instead of a reasonable charge for disconnection. 

If thats the case i dont believe i should be charged £30 to leave a poor, disgusting, and overall bad service and service provider. On the basis, all those times i didnt recieve any service and all those times i recieved partial service, along with all the complaints i have made and time spent on the phone to india should be credited to my account in the amount of £30 or thereabouts. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving to virgin on the 22nd Aug - unavoidable £30 charge for pressing a button.

You are not being charged for leaving BT.

If you had read your Terms and Conditions when you signed up with BT, which I'm sure you would have as it would have been folly not to, you will have seen that this is a charge that is levied by Openreach to all providers when a line is stopped.

It is to cover the cost of disconnecting the line. If you had moved to another provider who used the Openreach infrastructure this charge would not apply.

See link about Cease Charge

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

See link about Terms and Conditions.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/broadband.html

0 Ratings
quiksilver1
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: Moving to virgin on the 22nd Aug - unavoidable £30 charge for pressing a button.

I signed up with BT 8 years ago, and the service has been utterly **bleep** for the past 2-3 years now, so i decided to move. 

Previous to the new way in which you would swap providers you would give them your mac code and it would be free. This is not possible with virgin and there is no option or viable way to avoid it. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@quiksilver1 wrote:

Previous to the new way in which you would swap providers you would give them your mac code and it would be free. This is not possible with virgin and there is no option or viable way to avoid it. 

It was only free if you migrated to an ISP who use the BT Wholesale network, as that can be done with software.

If you migrated to cable you would still be charged.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

It has always been the case that if you leave any ISP and moved to Virgin or any other cable provider that does not use the Openreach infrastructure you would be liable for the cease charge. This applied even when the "old" MAC system was in use.

The MAC code was only used when you were moving from one ISP to another but still using the Openreach infrastructure therefore the Cease Charge would not be relevant because you were not Ceasing the line. That is why it was free.

0 Ratings
quiksilver1
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Well im going to ask for BT to quantify the charge and break it down, and price it accordingly to the cost of pushing a button and pressing delete on an account. 

Because im assuming no where in the world, would a company pay someone £30 for approx 10 mins work to press the delete key on an account and remove the profile from the exchange. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

As explained it is not just software it is an engineer's time to go to the exchange and physically disconnecting the service from the exchange equipment the charge is made by every ISP except cable as they pass the charge from Openreach for the work carried out BT Retail your provider will not be able to give you a breakdown as it is a standard charge made by Openreach
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

It is totally irrelevant as to how Openreach arrive at the charge even if it is as simple as you have posted "cost of pushing a button and pressing delete on an account"  Which I suspect it isn't that simple. It is the charge that you agreed to when you signed up to BT.

If you were not prepared to agree by the Terms and Conditions you should not have signed up to BT.

I take it you will have read the T&Cs of Virgin so that you are more informed if/when you decide to move from them.

EDIT: I meant to add that my dentist gets paid more that £30 for ten minites work and I'm pretty sure my solicitor also gets paid more that £180 per hour so it is not unusual for a company to charge more than £30 for ten minutes work.

0 Ratings