I'm currently unable to access and view my BT account details, personal details, billing information and packages etc. when I log into MyBT using my BTID / email address and password. These problems have been ongoing since late August. However, I am still able to access my BT Email account as normal.
A summary of the issues...
1. When I log into MyBT and land on the account home page I do not see the summary of my account. Instead, I see a banner image at the top of the page with the error message "Sorry, we can not get your account details at the moment. We're trying to fix the problem at the moment. Please come back later."
2. If I hover my mouse cursor over the MyBT link in the top right corner, then click "Your Bills", the page load stalls and displays an animated loading graphic, but no other information is displayed. The same happens if I also click "Your Usage", "Your Billing History" and "Your Bill Settings" links.
3. If I hover my mouse cursor over the MyBT link in the top right corner, then click "Your Products", I get the same banner error message displayed in issue 1.
4. If I hover my mouse cursor over the MyBT link in the top right corner, then click "Personal Details", I get sent to the Your Profile page, but I get a yellow notification banner appear and informing me to "Please upgrade your profile", and "Hi, We are making changes to My BT to improve your security. Please take a moment to upgrade your profile to make it more secure. This upgrade won’t affect any of your BT products and services."
I have attempted to perform the Profile Upgrade multiple times. However, each attempt has failed. A red notification banner appears at the top of the page giving me the vaguest of error messages, "Sorry, there was a problem saving your changes. Please try again."
5. If I hover my mouse cursor over the MyBT link in the top right corner, then click "Account Details", I get a yellow notification banner message saying "You don't have any accounts you can manage. This could be because you don't have any accounts associated with your BT ID, or because you don't have an Account owner or Account manager for any accounts."
There are two buttons, "Add an Account" and "Back to MyBT". If I click "Add an Account", I get taken to another page where I am asked to input my BT account number. When I do so, and click Continue, I get bounced back to the "Please Upgrade Your Profile" page described in issue 4.
6. If I attempt to log into my account through the BT app on my iPad, using my BTID and password I get the following error message "Sorry, we are unable to log you in as there is no account linked to this BTID. To add your account please visit bt.com/addaccount".
I have attempted using Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge web browsers, and on a PC and an iMac, to no effect. I have included screenshots below of the various error messages for reference.
From what I can surmise, I think my BTID has become "disconnected" from my BT account details. How or why this has happened I do not know. Everything seems to point back to the Profile Upgrade process which keeps failing every time I attempt it.
This has become very frustrating as I am being billed by BT, but I am unable to view any of my personal account information, products or billing details. The multiple phone calls I have made to BT's call centre over the past couple of weeks have proved useless and very unhelpful, none of the operators seem to have a clue as to how to proceed. So I'm reaching out to the community to see if there are any other cases similar to this.
Any thoughts, support or advice will be greatly received.
Hi mrkelly. No solution I’m afraid, but I’ve had exactly the same problem since August. I noticed I couldn’t access my account and didn’t get an email to say my bill was ready, but the payment was taken from my bank as usual. I was told on the phone that I should just wait a week or two to see if it corrected itself. After my September payment was taken I phoned again, and as you say, they didn’t have a clue what to do. The only suggestion was to try changing my password. After a couple more weeks I tried again and spoke to a chap who said it was a known problem affecting a few hundred people and they were trying to fix it, so just wait. I’m still waiting! There is an option in the account to “add an account to this ID”, but when I try it it says I’m not allowed to do this.
Today, my October payment has been taken. I still can’t see the bill and am not getting emails so have no idea of my usage etc. I can’t find any other mention of this on the community, or anywhere else, and I really don’t feel like wasting any more time on it. Another company is putting in fibre to the premises in our area, so I’ll be changing to them ASAP. Even if it costs me to get out of the contract early.
AND this is not the first time this has happened! It was the same in June/July 2019. That time it started when I was advised by BT to change my login to my up to date email (I was still using the one I set up in 2011, and I’ve never used my bt email). I used the web chat to report it that time, and for several weeks had people ringing me from India. Eventually they seemed to do the trick, although it took about 3 months to fix and there were some anomalies within the a/c . They had a great problem dealing with me as the account was still in my husbands name (he was in hospital), but I was there as an account manager. He has since died and I’ve moved home, so I thought everything would be ok with the new details now fully in my name and my new address since March. Not so it seems.
I’d be very interested to hear how many others are affected, and if anyone has found a solution.
Having rung for a quote to get out of my contract, I’ve spent most of the afternoon being passed around on the phone. Finally spoke to a helpful chap called Ryan in Faults. He said this happens when the BT ID hasn’t been set up correctly and there’s an anomaly. The way to fix it is to delete that ID, wait 24 hrs, then set up a new ID for that account.
Why could all the other people I’ve spoken to not have done that? It’s common sense.
Unfortunately this doesn’t count as a technical fault which would allow me to be released from my contract without a charge. So I’m going to have to pay £307 if I want to change provider. I’ll save more than that in a new 18 month contract, so I will just take that hit. There have been too many other problems and their prices are so high.
I’ll post further if it fails to work, but hopefully by this time tomorrow I should be up and running.
Thanks for your input, it's good to hear you found the solution. It sounds like the issue you were experiencing was exactly the same as ours. The reasons and explanation we received as to why this happened are vague to me I must admit, but it was eventually resolved back in October.
We ended up writing a letter of complaint as the phone support was unhelpful and we weren't making any progress. This resulted in someone contacting us direct and assisting us on a one-to-one basis. This person recognised the problem straight away and set up a new BT ID for us (exactly as you describe in your post), which I now use to log into my BT account where I can manage my bills etc. This BT ID is completely separate from my existing BT Email log in credentials which, until all this happened, I had been using to log into my BT account.