Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mechanical1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Multiple lines and Bandwidth Issue

Go to solution

Hello,
My current situation is that I am a student living at uni in a house with two friends, we bought BT fibre internet, maximum we can get in our area, however I like to play games and my friends like to stream movies and such all day and the bandwidth just isn't good enough to support it all.

The other day I saw that it was only £29.99 for one of the fibre packages, so I made a new account, went for a new phone number, phone line and broadband, weirdly there was no extra cost for putting in a new line which I found confusing, but thought it might be something to do with the deal / package I got. 

The internet doesn't get installed till the 24th, however I am worried that the internet may still experience issues because of the other line in my house, my friend told me that the new line will just go off of their current line, would that mean I will still get the issues with bandwidth that i'm experiencing currently? Is this something I would have to specify to the engineer when they come to install it, and is it normal that I didn't get charged (it said in brackets "free installation, usually 140" or something along those lines.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, thank you in advance for any replies
- Jake

(I have also attached a photo of the package I have bought)package.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Multiple lines and Bandwidth Issue

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Provided you have ordered a totally new line, then it should not interfere with any existing connection.

Make sure that this is in fact a new line, and not a takeover of an existing line. If it is seen as a takeover, then the account owner of the existing line, will get a message to say someone is trying to takeover their line.

If that happens, then they need to stop the takeover.

This is quite a common problem, so you need to be aware, as Openreach may see this as an existing line, and simply re-use it for your new connection.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Just remember you are committed to an 18 month contract and there will be severe penalties to leave early.

0 Ratings
Mechanical1
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
I definatly selected a new line and phone number and my friends haven't got an email yet, so other then that there should be no problems and my line will just co-exist with no interference from the other line?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Mechanical1 wrote:
I definatly selected a new line and phone number and my friends haven't got an email yet, so other then that there should be no problems and my line will just co-exist with no interference from the other line?

I would make sure that the Openreach technician that visits, understands its a new line, and does not try to use the existing pair.

There should be no interference provided the cable pairs are good.

0 Ratings
Mechanical1
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Alright then, thanks a lot
0 Ratings