cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnwill
Message 1 of 6

Must dispute final bill to avoid cancellation fees?

Have decided to move away from BT after receiving notificaion of the price rises - now makes combined phone + broadband over £10 a month more expensive than other providers. I'm 12 months into an 18 month contract but now have the right to cancel.

Spoke to cancellations department and after 10 mins of high pressure retention sales talk (but no discount offer, apparently they can't do that untl the last 3 months of contract, even when exercising right to cancel early - seems crazy) I was told that there is 'no way' to automatically waive the cancellation charges in this scenario but the rep would 'put a note on the account' that I was cancelling due to price rises and I would have to dispute the final bill to have the cancellation charges removed.

He also said that if I was cancelling fully rather than moving to another provider, he could 'push a button' and waive the charges - but not in the scenario that you move to another provider.

Seems a little silly - I mean who actually cancels these days rather than moving proivder?

In any case, be aware that if you are exercising your right to early termination you may have a fight on your hands when the final bill is produced.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
ian1965
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Must dispute final bill to avoid cancellation fees?

Hi, I cancelled a few weeks ago and have just received my final bill. You are correct in that the cancellation charges are billed even though I cancelled due to the price increase. A call to BT to challenge the charges resulted in them promising to remove them They couldn't promise to alter the direct debit in time as I owe BT £30 for the broadband cessation fee. To be safe I've cancelled the direct debit and paid the the £30 via my account on BT. My outstanding balance has been reduced by the £30 but the remainder hasn't yet been removed. Next months bill could be interesting!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

If you cancel completely and notmove yo another provider then you will get charged the £30 but if you get your MAC code and move to another provider then there is no £30 charge. This had been posted before. https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/30-cancellation-charge-to-leave/td-p/1287563

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dnwill
Message 4 of 6

<edited as no longer relevant - missed penultimate post>

0 Ratings
ian1965
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

As I moved to Virgin Media I have to pay the £30 broadband cessation charge - I knew that before I left BT. Anyway, I received an email from BT today confirming that the contract cessation charges had been removed. A quick check on my account shows the balance is now NIL so hopefully that will be the end of it.

0 Ratings
Diseased_Bunny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I was expecting the cease charge too, but nope, £22 in credit so a cheque is wingin its way to me

The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed LINUX..
0 Ratings