cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KazFitzsimmons
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

My bill says it's been paid but my direct debit hasn't gone out of my bank

I'm very confused. We joined BT in October last year and our bills were paid monthly so my direct debit was taken each month. However, something has changed and I just can't understand why. The last payment shows in my bank as 6/1/20 and no direct debit was taken in February and March and they're due at the beginning of each month. The amount was £48 per month. Now my bill is £147 and the bill schedule is pay full bill which I didn't ask for. The bill date was 27/3 and it says it's been paid but the direct debit isn't showing as being taken from my bank so I'm really not sure what's going on. In the current situation I can't call them as I can't get through - was hanging on for an hour the other day with no luck! I'm worried I'm going to end up with a massive bill as it's not being taken. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: My bill says it's been paid but my direct debit hasn't gone out of my bank

Guesswork, but it looks as though you have somehow moved from the initial monthly payments, either on the Monthly Payment Plan (best avoided) or on monthly whole billing, to quarterly whole billing. If so, your next direct debit will be taken in a few days' time and should clear what you owe.

If that happens you should be able to set up monthly whole billing online.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
KazFitzsimmons
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. What concerns me is that the direct debit isn't showing as being taken from my bank as the last payment was January but yet my March bill on MyBT says it's been paid! I'm worried that I'll end up with a late payment demand and then a big bill at the end! Could just be a display issue as the DD details are right!
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

I thought I'd seen this before and was able to check it out because my own DD is due next week. Sure enough, MyBT says that the bill has been paid. I think it's something to do with the lag between the company asking for the funds and the bank sending them.

So I'd be pretty confident that the payment will show in your bank account next week. Let us know if not.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Hi, under the direct debit scheme, BT initiate the payment from your bank account. At this point the bill is deemed as paid by BT. However, the payment takes two/three days to be debited to your bank account. So depending when you view your bill in MY BT, the bill could be marked as paid but you still haven’t paid the sum from your bank account.

Stew

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

I was wondering to myself if there would be a contribution from that source.😁

--
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@pottypersonwrote:

I was wondering to myself if there would be a contribution from that source.😁

Always happy to give my two penn'orth.

Stew

0 Ratings