cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

My broadband service terminated without my consent

Go to solution

Had a very unpleasant experience with BT unfortunately. So, out of the blue on the 14th of Sep, I received this email from BT telling me that they are sorry that I am leaving BT and summary of charges that I need to pay as I am leaving BT in the middle of the contract. I was perplexed as I never applied for any other provider. So, I called BT CS on the 14th of Sep 10:09 and explained them the situation. And I was told that someone might have put your address by mistake, and we will sort this out for you and cancel the leave request.

Few days later, on the 17/09, I received the same email again that BT are sorry that I am leaving. I called BT CS again on the 20/09 at 08:47 and explained the whole situation again. And, I was told that might have happened again by mistake and we will sort this out for you.

Few days later on the 04th/10 received an email that one or more of my services are being stopped. I contacted the customer services by phone and the waiting time was long. I than decided to use online chat. I was on the online chat for just over 2 hours and in then end they asked me to contact the customer services anyways.

I contacted the customer services on 4th of October at 12;37 and I was told how sorry they are that my internet services was disconnected but they cant do anything today and they will call me back tomorrow to fix the issue. I was told that they will call me at 9:30am on the 5th of October. Next day, I received a call at 11:36am and basically, I was told that I will now get a new connection and they will try and do everything that I get it as soon as possible. They ran through the process of registering me for the new service and told me that I will get connected on the 19th of October!! But they will try and do it quicker and that I will receive a call from BT within 24 hours so let me know how quickly I can get reconnected. Its been over 24 hours and I have not received any call from BT. I am without internet, and it is affecting us greatly. Neither me or my wife can work from home and we got child care issues now. I am really amazed at what BT can do without my consent. I have no internet and treated badly by BT but nothing I can do about it!!

Is there anyone who could help?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: My broadband service terminated without my consent

Go to solution

Can one of the privileged please mark this for the attention of the Mods?

It is my understanding that closing accounts, switching provider or moving home cannot be done without using one's account number, so how this was done on an "address only" basis is weird to say the least.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Mods alerted

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Switching provider can be done with just the address, all providers can just choose the address from a list, this is why Ofcom have told providers they have to send comms & it takes 2 weeks due to issues like this (slamming)

Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Farrukh, welcome to the forum, and sorry that your broadband has got disconnected even though you called to tell us to cancel the transfer.

I'm sure that you will be contacted back once your order has been confirmed with our suppliers. Just to be on the safe side I've sent you a Private Message so you can contact the Mod team and if needed we will be happy to help you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@garybs29wrote:

Switching provider can be done with just the address, all providers can just choose the address from a list, this is why Ofcom have told providers they have to send comms & it takes 2 weeks due to issues like this (slamming)

Thank you Gary. I stand corrected! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Unfortunately, because Ofcom ( the regulator) don’t see the need for a customer to confirm they are exiting with their old company, simply contacting a new company is all that is needed , so blaming BT for letting this happen is a little unfair, they cannot , without good reason stop it, so someone not clear on the address they want service at ( and incorrectly selecting your address ) or even  a malicious person trying to inconvenience you, can raise an order that has the potential to affect you …you should ( and did )  get the communication saying another company is applying to takeover service , but even if you respond to that and say it must be an error, there is nothing stopping the ‘new’ ISP issuing another order , especially if the person making the order insists that what they want is legitimate and the first order should never have been cancelled.

Its not clear if your instructions to cancel the takeover wasn’t acted upon, or by using the incorrect channel to contact BT , the order wasn’t cancelled in time , but it is what it is and new order needs to be raised.

Is there something out of the ordinary about your address that could cause someone to select your address instead of the one they should have selected ( assuming it was a genuine mistake rather than malicious intent)  and is there anything out of the ordinary about your account , like having separate broadband and phone line accounts ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Farrukh,

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me this evening.

I am happy that everything has been working for you now. I am also happy that I was able to sort out a billing issue that arose on your old account. If you ever need a hand, please, feel free to post up on the Community or to get in touch with us.

Take care and have a great evening,
DanielS

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Daniel

I've got another issue now and would really appreciate your help. So, when I had the issue of my account being terminated, and I was contacted by Allison. She told me that BT will be sending me a new kit and she asked me to post the new kit back to them and keep using the old one. Now, I posted the new kit back (i have got the post office proof of delivery as well). But I am still receiving emails and text messages to return the kit back and if I dont than they will charge me for it. COuld you please have a look?

many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Farrukh,

I will pick this up for you and get it sorted 🙂

I'll drop you a line when I'm done

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings