cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicola4
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

My bt renewal

Hi I'm looking to renew my contract, but I'm wondering how the billing works? My current direct debit comes on the 18th of the month but bt are offering to set the renewal up on 2nd of September. Would I pay for the renewal month up front before I start it? Hope this makes sense. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
-Richie-
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: My bt renewal

BT bill in advance and any contract renewal will preserve the same billing cycle, when your bill is generated and when the direct debit comes out will not change from how it is now.

0 Ratings
Nicola4
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Even if they activate my service on a different day? They want to activate the renewal on the 3rd September but the renewal is for a slightly more expensive monthly package. So normal bill date is the 18th,obviously they'd bill me for the month ahead on that day but what about the 2 weeks before that the service was activated for?

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 10

You'll be billed as normal, BT bill in advance but it doesn't factor in any future changes, for example if you're upgrading from standard BB to Fibre BB, the bill porduced after that would then recalculate the difference, the date you're billed now won't change though, only the amount.

0 Ratings
Nicola4
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

So on the 18th of September I'd pay my new monthly total plus the difference of the extra days between activation and new bill date? Then the 18th October would just be the new monthly amount? Sorry to ask the most basic questions, I've never renewed a broadband contract before. 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 6 of 10

@Nicola4wrote:

So on the 18th of September I'd pay my new monthly total plus the difference of the extra days between activation and new bill date? Then the 18th October would just be the new monthly amount? Sorry to ask the most basic questions, I've never renewed a broadband contract before. 

Exactly that Nicola yes 🙂
You have nothing to say sorry for, as you said it's not something you've done before, you have questions and the community forum are happy to help, anthing else you need don't hesitate to ask again.

Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

If your contract renewal happens mid payment period you usually pay the old rate up to your renewal date and then the new rate from renewal to billing date. This should be pro-rata so e.g. you would pay 50% old and 50% new for that month. As you are billed a month in advance you should receive a credit for any unused portion of the old monthly contract rate. 

Not sure if this helps.

0 Ratings
Nicola4
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for helping me feel less stupid lol. My renewal is offered now but my actual contract doesn't run out until October 11th. Will that make a difference? 

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Nicola4wrote:

Thank you for helping me feel less stupid lol. My renewal is offered now but my actual contract doesn't run out until October 11th. Will that make a difference? 

The new contract will over-ride the existing one.

Normally the ideal time to recontract is within the last month of the current contract as that is when you can get better deals. If you do want to go ahead now ring  0800 800 030 and ask for Retentions and try and do a bit of polite haggling to get a better deal as they can improve on MyBT deals as I have found out from personal experience and are flexible on the start date ( but this is unfortunately highly dependent on who you talk to)

0 Ratings
Nicola4
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. I'll wait for a little bit and then look at it again within the end month period. 

0 Ratings