cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 16

MyBT account

I am trying to set up a 'MyBT' account so I can check my barred numbers with BT Call Protect on the web, but it asks me to enter a 10 digit BT account number including 2 letters, but my BT account number has more than 10 digits and is 16 digits long with 3 letters.

When I type the first two letters in and then first 8 numbers it asks for a security question, when I type that in, it says there is error and I can't get any further. What's going on and why is it asking for a 10 digit account number when mine has 16?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: MyBT account

Are you sure you are looking at the right number, your account number should be 2 letters and 8 numbers long.

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 3 of 16

Are the three letters "VOL" by any chance? I think that BT order numbers when you change a service are in the format VOLnnn-nnnnnnnnnnnn where "n" is a numerical digit.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 16

Well, it isn't.

It is on the top right corner of my phone bills that I get through the post and there are spaces between them.

It took my by suprise that people only have a 10 digit account number. We have been customers since the 70's. Maybe they have changed the format?

L  means a letter and N means a number 

LL NNNN NNNN LNNN NL  

Is this the right BT account number to use for 'MyBT' set-up?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 5 of 16

Have you tried the first part of that number, ie the LL NNNN NNNN, but without any spaces, and ignoring the following LNNN NL?

Out of interest, have you been customers at the same address, or at least in the same geographical area since the 70's? If so, what are your first two letters? The reason I ask is that I think that the two letters are a code for the old BT district, (dating from when "British Telecom" had districts!), that your first account was set up in. The account number, and hence the 2 letter code subsequently follow you around the country if you move home.

For example, I used to live in Kent, and my account number, (still), starts with ND - for North Downs - even though I have lived for many years in a completely different part of the UK now.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Well I've been a customer since the early seventies and my account number is 10 digits, and yes, the first 2 letters are the old district code, in my case EM East Midlands.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 16

Hello, the first 2 is SL. If you can tell me where that is I can tell you if you are correct!

That's very interesting. I didn't know that.

We have never moved since acquiring our phone line in the 70's and still have our original aluminium phone line!

We were one of the first in our village to have a phone at that time. Pioneers if you like!

I've entered the first 10 digits without spaces, and it then asks a security question. When I type that in it comes up with a red error message. Don't know why? Should it be asking for a security question if I have typed the account in correctly?

The rest of the account digits on our paper bills sometimes change themselves after a time so maybe it isn't necessary to type those in?

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 8 of 16

I don't have any sort of list to refer to - it is just something that I have picked up over the years. It was really meant for you to be able to tell if the reference number that you have was likely to be your account number.

But just for a bit of fun, I'm willing to take a guess 😀 . I'll take a punt on "South London", which ISTR stretched from somewhere around the South Circular Road right out to the Dorking/Redhill/Reigate area and from Dartford in the east to past Weybridge in the west - but that's purely a guess!

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

You might like to have a look here, where it's explained that the geographical indicators are being phased out to be replaced universally by GB, which probably refers to an island in the United Kingdom.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Paul608085
Expert
Message 10 of 16

Looks like I was, (hundreds of), miles out! SL appears to be Sheffield/Lincolnshire, (and North Derbyshire?) area?

0 Ratings