Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 16

Re: MyBT account

@Paul608085 wrote:

Looks like I was, (hundreds of), miles out! SL appears to be Sheffield/Lincolnshire, (and North Derbyshire?) area?

As a Folkestone resident, I can confirm that ND is North Downs. Don't know about SL but I have a daughter in Sheffield so can ask her if you really need to know.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 12 of 16

@pottyperson 

No need to check, it was the OP that posed the question! Although where your daughter lives now is not necessarily relevant - it seems to be where you were when your BT account was first opened. As I said earlier in this thread, my account number still starts with ND, though I have not lived in Kent for many years and am now in another part of the country.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 16

The prefixes are associated with the individual CSS databases, and each database had a prefix code denoting the old telephone area boundaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_Service_System

eg.

Solent - ST

South Downs - SD

North Downs - ND

Employees had access to any zone that they needed, to do their work, as they sometimes moved between districts, and that involved switching between databases.

Many accounts still retain that prefix, but later the prefix GB was used.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 16

Hello Paul, your first guess was miles out, but you are right on your 2nd guess, I am from Lincolnshire!

Do you know if it should  be asking for a security question if I have typed the account number in correctly?

I typed in the answer but got no further. Just got a red error message 'something went wrong'. Is the security answer case-sensitive as I typed it in with a capital letter being a surname?

Thanks 😀

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 15 of 16

@Anonymous 

Sorry, I have no idea about the security questions.

Just a thought though - have you tried ringing 150, (maybe try the billing option), and asking them to confirm what your account number is? The worse they can do is refuse to tell you!

Another thought - do you pay your bills by direct debit? I think that my, (online), bank statements have my BT account number as the reference.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 16

Hi Paul, I know what my BT account number is, I just can't get 'MyBT' to accept it when setting up a 'myBT' on the web account hence my original question.

It is the error message that is throwing me after entering a surname but I may have it!

I don't think I have ever told BT my mother's maiden name as a security question! My late father was the original account holder so maybe I will try that and hopefully it will work.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if I succeed!

0 Ratings