cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billinghamn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

New Build - Do I need a Phone Line Install before Fibre can be Activated?

Hope the experts on this forum can help me with this.

I will be moving in to a new build house at the end of Jan 2019 in Drayton, near Abingdon, and I am trying to organise FTTP via BT, so that we can be up and running either on the day we move in, or the following day.  Our neighbour apparently got their fibre connection up and running within a day, so I am optimistic it's achievable.

I've checked on the DSL Checker - results are below:

DSL Checker.png

This looks really positive (from the little I know about all of this), so I rang BT and asked them whether they could take an order for fibre now (mid Dec).  The advice that came back was that they needed to establish a phone service first, and once that was up and running, we would be able to add Ultrafast Fibre 2, which they should be able to activate within 24 hours.  I was happy with that, so agreed to pay £70 for the new phone line.

I have since done a bit more research, and I know wonder whether I need a phone line installing at all.  I understand I can plug my phone into the Fibre ONT - in fact it supports up to two phone lines if I am not mistaken.

So is BT's recommended course of action correct?  Am I right in thinking this new phone line will effectively be a copper line in to my house?  Should I cancel the phone line install and insist on BT setting up my fibre connection without a copper phone line?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New Build - Do I need a Phone Line Install before Fibre can be Activated?

Welcome to this user forum.

You will still need to place an order for a phone line, even if its a fibre voice one. Its the phone number which is used to identify the circuit and define the routing.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 7

Give the FTTP team a ring on 0800 587 4787.

billinghamn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Rang the FTTP team and they have cancelled the order for a new phone line.  The issue with my new address is that it's not a Gold Address - just Silver at this point, so the guy advised he would start the process of making it a Gold Address.  He didn't expect to have an update before 31/12.

Will see how that pans out.  I think on the earlier call with BT we talked about needing the serial number noted on the ONT.  Unfortunately I don't have access to the property right now, so I'm hoping the FTTP team will sort this in due course.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 7

Getting your address updated with Openreach normally takes 5 days. Obviously due to this being a holiday period the 31st sounds about right.

It is possible that the ONT has already been fitted and the serial number registered by the developer.

0 Ratings
billinghamn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Quick update on latest position:

• The BT fibre team has done a really good job at keeping me abreast of what's going on by sending me text messages on a regular basis ("Hi.  Buzz here...").
  • The latest text message suggested their supplier (I assume they mean OR) will not be ready with a fibre service until mid Feb.  Not happy about that.  No details provided as to why that is the case.
  • My new address is now visible on the BT.com website, but there's no details available about what services are available at that address.  So that's progress of sorts - my address wasn't previously being listed on BT.com. 
  • My new address is not yet visible on Royal Mail PAF, but I guess that's not that important in the context of setting up BT fibre.  I'm chasing the developer and Royal Mail to make sure that happens in good time anyway.

After escalating to the developer my concern over the suggestion that fibre wouldn't be available until mid Feb, the developer has (in turn) escalated this to their OR rep, and has now indicated that the OR engineer is planning on visiting the property by the end of next week (Fri 18/01).  I am assuming that will be to install and/or commission the ONT.

If that is completed correctly, I am assuming an order for fibre can then be placed.  That will give me just short of two weeks for that to be activated before we move in at the end of Jan.  However, based on all of the comments on this forum, I don't have that much confidence that it will be successful first time around.  However, I'll wait and see.

0 Ratings
billinghamn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

The OR engineer has (apparently) installed the ONT and it is now working.  I have asked the developer to provide details of the serial number so that I can pass this on to BT, who in turn I think plan to pass it on to OR.  So in theory the circle will be closed.

Assuming OR has correctly installed the ONT and registered it on their database, when and how will I be able to see evidence of this?  Will my address suddenly become orderable for fibre through the BT website?

0 Ratings