Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dipso
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New Build Flat Fibre Unavailable - Though Available to Neighbours

Hi everyone, 

I am aware there are a lot of topics similar to this, though I couldn't find a reliable solution after extensive searching. 

I'm due to move in to a new build flat in a block in London in a few days. I've checked with multiple providers though my address isn't available for fibre with any of them - while all the neighbouring flats in the same block are.

I'm not an expert, though I'm pretty certain all the flats in the block would have been enabled with a fibre connection on completion (summer 2020), though maybe my flat wasn't checked off a list online somewhere to allow providers to check availability for it?

I have filled out the new build fibre query form with Open Reach twice - the first time they replied they told me to ask providers to push through the contract using the bronze address check, but they can't even do that. Apparently I could be waiting up to 28 days for a response.

Is there anything else I can do in the meantime or should I be exploring other avenues? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New Build Flat Fibre Unavailable - Though Available to Neighbours

Is it FTTP that you are trying to order?

do you have something like this installed

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

@Dipso 

This forum can only assist if you are going to be placing your order with BT Retail.

If not, then you need to post on your chosen provider`s forum.

This forum has no connection with Openreach, who is the company providing the infrastructure.

If you are placing the order with BT Retail, then this is what you need to do.

You would need to follow the process for ordering a new phone line first. Once that has been provided, then the Openreach database will be updated and you will be able to see what broadband options are available to you.

Not all new builds would have a direct fibre connection. It may just be a normal phone line that is provided. It depends on whether its a Greenfield or Brownfield development.

Place an order for a line only using this link - https://www.bt.com/landline/deals

If the address doesn't appear properly when you enter the postcode, there is a section underneath where you can manually enter the address.  This will raise the order with the address showing as bronze and it will prompt Openreach to carry out a survey to confirm the routing.   Once the routing is updated the order will then progress as normal.  You can then add broadband once you have the line up and running.

Dipso
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Yes and yes 

0 Ratings
Dipso
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Keith, 

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the difference between BT and Openreach. 

I am unable to choose a supplier because I can't check availability with any of them. 

Are you saying that I'm unable to check availability on my address because I don't yet have a phone line installed?

Do you think this is why the neighbouring addresses have visible availability? Because they may have phone lines connected? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Then if you are going to place an order with BT Retail then phone the FTTP TEAM and see if they can help you.  You will need number of the ONT in pic I posted 08005874787

if you already have the ONT then you may well get digital voice and there will be no need for old style copper phone line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Dipso
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi Keith, 

In addition:

Yes I'm pretty sure that all the flats in the block have active FTTP connections as these packages show as available for the other addresses besides mine. 

Also (not trying to be facetious, just wanted to understand) why would I need a phone line to order FTTP? I thought they were independent of each other - is this something that BT stipulates? 

0 Ratings