Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: New Connection Complaint

What did the developer say, did you ask them if they contacted Openreach during the build?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 12 of 20

There are still some details missing that may give a better understanding of how you got to the position you are in, is this new build a single plot development or part of a development of several properties ?, is it a new build on the site of a demolished building ?, how did you get an Openreach survey done before you contacted a provider ?,  was this survey arranged by the developer ?
As it appears that the local infrastructure is now in place , ( telegraph pole, cabling etc ) what have you been told is now the issue ,( although that could be difficult for you to say , after all you are not an engineer, or if the OR engineer didn’t explain precisely , or you are unable accurately recall what was said).

As already stated, the exchange area is part of a trial , that is effectively testing the processes and procedures when ‘telephone exchanges’ effectively become redundant, and broadband will also be used for telephony, where the user requires telephony , it appears that there is a ‘stop sale’ on regular exchange lines and orders are SoGEA ( single order Generic Ethernet Access ) , my understanding is broadband is ordered without an exchange phone line , if a phone service is required it’s provided as Digital Voice , which is VOIP ( voice over internet protocol ) all of which doesn’t have to make sense to you, but if you now have a physical ‘connection’ from your home to the telegraph pole to the cabinet ( FTTC /fibre cabinet ) then you should really be ready to go.

As to some of your points, BT is a service provider , not a network provider, you didn’t ( and don’t ) have to use BT, that was your choice, if the address is on an Openreach database as being capable of being served , any provider can raise an order (one of the reasons why you were asked if the building is on the site if a previous building or is a green field development and the address is brand new ) 

If an order is raised because the address is shown as capable of being given service but isn’t , OR reactively provide the lineplant necessary to provide service ( that appears to be the case here ) once the OR  lineplant is available , the order is re-ordered .

BT and OR are not one and the same thing, and what’s more they are not allowed by the regulator ( Ofcom) to converse as if they were, so anything you say to BT isn’t necessarily known  by OR

0 Ratings
Msmyth60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Hi,

The house is a new build, previously field. Application was made to Open Reach and surveyed.

Telephone pole etc and everything is now in place but the engineer said there is not enough room to connect a new line and an upgrade needs to be made. That is as much as I was told by the engineer.

I understand BT and Open Reach are different companies but it is extremely difficult to navigate a connection when one blames the other and I am totally lost as to what is happening  and without having to contact BT and reexplain my case.

I also understand there are other service providers available but it is very limited in Northern Ireland and many require you to have a BT connection already established. The engineer was unable to install the landline due to this latest connection. 

Mobile signal is limited in this area too so a landline is vital. This lack of connectivity really does increase feelings of isolation. I am relying on being elsewhere to even ring/post on this matter. 

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Another customer on the same exchange (Mildenhall ) https://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Moving-houses-and-found-out-it-doesn-t-have-fibre/m-p/2183749...

The Mildenhall thing is a red herring. That notice about Mildenhall appears on the checker regardless of location.

The mention of NI rang alarm bells as Mildenhall is in Suffolk, so checked my number and get same message.

0 Ratings
itsonlysound
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

Do you live rurally in NI? BT are a waking nightmare to deal with as they don’t care about their rural customers at all so it’s like wading through quicksand to do the bare minimum. Took over a year for them to fix our issues and the service remains spotty and substandard given we’re paying the same as people living 3 miles down the road. A year of  engineers without a decent  level of training (their low level of training confirmed by the senior engineer sent out the final time) and explaining the problem over and over to god knows how many people. Hopefully BT will contact you directly and actually help rather than take your money and act like it’s not their problem.

if possible, look into air fibre, 4g or satellite broadband and just cancel your BT order. They have a monopoly here but if you’ve got another viable option, go for it. BT aren’t worth the stress or expense.

Msmyth60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Yes, we live outside a village...I knew the coverage wouldn't be great but I didn't think I would be entering the third month in my property with no connection. 

I will look into these other options. I have tried my best to get clarity from someone at BT but at this point I feel I am going mad! If the problem could be explained to me clearly and an actual date of connection confirmed I think my mind would be at ease.

160 +

iniltous
Guru
Message 17 of 20

OK, so the SoGEA is a red herring, perhaps your ‘cabinet’ the green roadside box, where cables from the exchange are cross connected to ‘distribution’ cables that run to telegraph poles etc , is effectively at capacity , so (as an example) if it had 100 possible connections and 100 current customers ) then obviously you are going to be delayed, it’s possible that when your order was accepted there were spare connections but they were used by other provides or to fix a fault on an existing line.
The relationship ( AFAIK ) between BT and OR used to be different in NI to the rest of the UK, but presumably OR will be required to provide a solution, but ( and this isn’t a criticism of you ) because the description of the issue is a bit vague , we can only speculate what the engineer meant 

0 Ratings
itsonlysound
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

TBH, none of the contributors on this thread, well  intentioned though they may be, will be able to help you unless they work for BT/OR in NI or live next door to you. NI may as well be a third world country for all BT management care. They own 99.9% of the infrastructure here and put about 5% into the upkeep. It’s a disgrace that one company (BT/Open Reach are one and the same here) have been able to back millions of customers into a corner the way they have. 

Msmyth60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Well the engineer referred to the box as a cabinet as did the BT sales assistants I spoke to. I understood that there were no new connections available on whatever cable exists/runs from this box.

I do not understand how noone knew this was the case- whether it be additional connections/faults or whatever. Surely there should be some database/log of this work that would alert the company that an upgrade is required before another new connection could be made. It shouldn't be down to an engineer discovering this on the day. It is a classic example of bottle necking in operations management.

As another poster as said, the provision in NI is dire and only a company who know the population have limited options could get away with such poor customer service and communication.

I've submitted my complaints to an MLA. Perhaps they can add it to their case for rural infrastructure upgrades.

itsonlysound
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Maybe you’ll be covered under the rural fibre rollout and can bin BT off for a more reliable company? I think you can check your postcode to see when/if your area will be completed. Mine won’t be done till spring but maybe you’ll get lucky. Good luck anyway, you’ll probably get no help from BT unless they’re forced into it. Contacting your ombudsman should be the next step.
0 Ratings