cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 1 of 329

New Totally Unlimited usage

So BT Retail announced they're making there usuage "Totally Unlimited" meaning that P2P will no longer be capped at peak times.

Personally this won't benefit me as I never use torrents. Though I expect many to think this is great, any thoughts?

Source: BT Broadband packages

Edit: Also appears you can now see the Faster Unlimited Broadband package without entering your number to see if you can get Infinity. The price seems steep though!

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
328 REPLIES 328
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 329

Re: New Totally Unlimited usage

Hopefully this will stop people complaining that p2p is slow on BT 🙂

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 329

😮 Appears you can now Order Infinity 1 with Totally unlimited usage as well. I wonder what rights I have as I orderd Infinity 2 to for the usage as I can only get 26/27Mbps could I move over to Infinity 1 with the Totally unlimited package.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 329

@ryant704 wrote:

😮 Appears you can now Order Infinity 1 with Totally unlimited usage as well. I wonder what rights I have as I orderd Infinity 2 to for the usage as I can only get 26/27Mbps could I move over to Infinity 1 with the Totally unlimited package.

Yes, you could downgrade to Infinity 1 with the unlimited usage if you want to save £3 per month

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 329

Also see http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages which includes Unlimited Infinity 1 for £23, which would be relevant for people who can't get Infinity2 speeds.  Not sure why BT have two similar pages showing different information (I can guess though; incompetance and inefficiency).

I don't use p2p either so I don't think it makes any difference to me.  Are the current packages automatically changed, or does one have to sign up and restart a contract?  The naming becomes typically confusing.

• BT Infinity 2(old package); which is Unlimited; but with throttled p2p.
  • Unlimited BT Infinity 2 (new package); which is Totally Unlimited.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 329

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

Yes, you could downgrade to Infinity 1 with the unlimited usage if you want to save £3 per month

Yes, I know that but I'm assuming I would have to renew the contract for 18Months and probably be charged the £25 activation.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 329

@sjtp wrote:

Also see http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages which includes Unlimited Infinity 1 for £23, which would be relevant for people who can't get Infinity2 speeds.  Not sure why BT have two similar pages showing different information (I can guess though; incompetance and inefficiency).

I don't use p2p either so I don't think it makes any difference to me.  Are the current packages automatically changed, or does one have to sign up and restart a contract?  The naming becomes typically confusing.

The old BT Infinity 2 package with 40GB usuage has been removed.

BT Infinity 2 old Unlimited package is now Totally unlimited no P2P caps at peak time.

As you said you can now order Infinity 1 with Totally unlimited as I mention'd a moment ago. You also get cloud storage and yes I'm assuming we will have to renew the contract if we did switch and probably be charged the activation as well.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 329

@sjtp wrote:

My understanding is that existing customers who have Infinity 2 will be on the new Unlimited BT Infinity 2 package as from today.

0 Ratings
MMR
Contributor
Message 9 of 329

Hi everyone,

This sound good news especially for games using p2p protocol (suach as FIFA for example - when creating a direct game connection with a friend without using the EA servers). But I am still confused as to what is going to happen to existing customers so would appreciated if a mod could confirm the following.

Currently I am (as many others) on the original BT Infinity Option 2 (unlimited download version). Is the p2p throttle still applicable or will it be removed without us having to take a new 18 month contract?

Many thanks in advance to confirm.

0 Ratings
johnalan
Contributor
Message 10 of 329

haha,

have to laugh at this:

For customers on all other broadband products: to protect the performance of the network and to ensure the best experience for all users of the service, at peak times we may manage the speed of non-time critical applications such as Peer-to-Peer (P2P).

As someone who joined before Feb 1st, I want to be the first to say I am proud that I am part of the chosen who will be giving up their P2P bandwidth to protect the performance of the network and to ensure the best possible experience of all who sign up after Feb 1st. /s

Awesome marketing.

lol

ffs

0 Ratings