Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrt1981
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

New build connection delays

Go to solution

Hi,

I placed an order for a phoneline and fibre broadband back in early January for a new build home. My initial activation date was the 3rd Feb, but I've had delay after delay since then. Every update I get is simply that I will be updated again later. I'ts incredibly hard to get any useful information but so far I've been told that there was ongoing ducting work that was holding up the order, then a few weeks ago I was told I'd be connected on the 8th March, then after that I was told there was still ongoing work that would be completed by the 10th, BT would be updated on the 13th, and I'd be updated (and connected) by today. I've just been in a live chat to try and get another update and I've now been told that the supplier has written to the council to request a road closure to do work on the line, but the kicker being that they still haven't determined *if* the work needs to be done yet. Why it's taken 2 and a half months for them to even think about wether the work needs done or not is beyond me. My latest update is I will get another update on the 18th.

As far as I can see, my neighbours have had no issues getting connected (there are certainly a few BT hubs showing when I scan for wifi), and the site manager told me no one had reported any issues. In fact when we viewed the house before completion, openreach had already been and installed the master socket, so I'm finding it quite hard to understand what the issue with my line specifically is.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. I've already raised a complaint but feel like I'm going in circles, and this is costing a fortune in data as both my wife and I need an internet connection so are having to tether to our phones constantly. Can anyone shed any light on what's actually going on here because I'm getting sick of going in circles and getting nowhere with these updates.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: New build connection delays

Go to solution
I had a similar issue.

The person who ordered a like before mine too the last spare cable from the cab to the exchange. Additional "E-Side" cables were required.

Took close to 3 months from order to activation.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mrt1981
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution
Sounds like a nightmare, although if that's what has happened here they would presumably have know about this a while back and could say already if the work is needed or not?

To quote from my last chat:
"Our engineers have sent a letter to the council/local authority to gain written consent for full/partial road closure. This is needed to complete additional work as advised by the surveyor before we can connect your property to the telephone network.

I understand there's some digging work need to be done but before that we need to clear out wether it is actually required or not. For that they have passed the job to higher team they will check that and update if it will be required then they will send sent a letter to the council/local authority to gain written consent for full/partial road closure."

Which just seems to contradict itself. Would be really great if I could just get a clear answer on what's going on and how long it will take.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution
You'd have thought the same for my situation.

Sometimes, it's not just as easy as adding extra pairs. If the current ducting is full then additonal ducting might be needed (this is likely where a different team will need to check), which could require road closures or traffic management, which are not typically easy or quick to organise, depending on what roads, how much and for how long they need to be closed for.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mrt1981
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution
Absolutely ridiculous, had a call yesterday saying still delayed but the work would be finished on Friday and they'd call me on the 27th with an update. 5 mins later had a call from the complaints team telling me my case is now with traffic management and that the reason the order was delayed is that the cabinet is full and they'll call me on Monday with another update. 3 months for them to tell me that! Unbelievable that every time I get an update I get a different story. All I want is a simple no nonsense update with exactly what's happening and when it's going to be sorted that doesn't become a different story next time they call...
0 Ratings
mrt1981
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
Well, unsurprisingly no call from the complaints team today. Still without a working phone line and still without internet.

Browsing through some other threads I came across a link to a cabinet checker and putting my details in it doesn't say anything about the cabinet being full so I'm still not sure what the real problem here is. Really starting to feel like I'm being given the runaround with all these excuses, and in the meantime my wife and I's mobile data bills are astronomical from having to tether all the time.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @mrt1981 Sorry you are being told conflicting stories about the delay in getting connected. 

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
mrt1981
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
Thanks Keith & John, I've filled out the contact form.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @mrt1981,

I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I've been chasing your order with Openreach, unfortunately the order is still in delay. They advised that traffic management is needed and there is a site survey that is due to happen next week. The have told me that the expect an update on the 5th of April.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you at the moment. I'll be back in touch on the 6th as soon as I have an update from Openreach.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings