Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New build postcode not recognised?

Hi,

We are moving into a new build property in 10 days and I have been trying to find out our options on the BT website for a couple of weeks now but the Post Code is STILL not recognised despite having been registered with Royal Mail for around 3 weeks now.

I know the property has FTTP and adjacent streets are checkable OK on the BT web site.

Just not looking forward to an indeterminate wait to order services.

How long does BT take usually to register Post Codes for new builds that have already been registered with Royal Mail and is it possible to speed this process up?

Cheers in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New build postcode not recognised?

Welcome to this user forum.

Its Openreach not BT Retail that register addresses when they get an order from a Service Provider.

You must be registered with Royal Mail, so check on the Royal Mail postcode database to see if your address now appears.

If its FTTP only, then there are only a few providers that supply that.

See this link BT Infinity (FTTP) Fibre To The Premises

0 Ratings
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Yes, as I said in my post the Post Code IS registered with Royal Mail (for the avoidance of doubt it is registered on the online database).

I know I am stuck with BT basically (because they are the most "cost effective" for FTTP) hence why I am posting here for guidance (from a moderator) about hurrying this process on.

I have used the internet before so of course I've already searched for answers on this and this leads me to this forum where a mod will come along and ask me to get in touch with them if the countless other posts on this same subject are anything to go by.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@Dreddfan wrote:

I know I am stuck with BT basically (because they are the most "cost effective" for FTTP) hence why I am posting here for guidance (from a moderator) about hurrying this process on.

My link explained that the moderators cannot help with these orders, I would be prepared for a long wait. Make sure you have plenty of mobile data available.

This is a very common question on this forum.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/New-build-Fibre-FTTP-Connection/m-p/1696085...

https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&q=n...

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Your best bet initially is to continually chase the developers as they should be in  contact with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Well we are in our new home and the Openreach terminal on the outside wall is lying with the wire coiled up.

I mananged to speak to the Openreach guys on the ground who mentioned about some problems getting the cabling sent through to our street as someones right hand wasn't talking to the left on the developers side - or suchlike.

Now the Black Friday deals have hit I'm going to be really peeved if I miss out on the free BT Sport for 18 months!

Is there any way to get signed up to BT Infinity 4 so as to take advantage of this offer and get connected when it eventually goes live?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Dreddfan wrote:

Well we are in our new home and the Openreach terminal on the outside wall is lying with the wire coiled up.

Are you sure this is not just a copper cable and not fibre?

0 Ratings
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

100% positive.

The ONT is installed in the electricity cupboard (next to a TV distribution booster, with, er, ONE PLUG POINT for these two devices, doh!  But that's another issue.).

I've just been onto the FTTP team and as I thought if it isn't on the system there's nothing to be done.

It would just be nice to be able to have a "raincheck voucher" for the BT Sport offer because I would order Infinity 4 today if I could.  I'll fire an email off the CEO and see if I can get any luck with such a goodwill gesture.

0 Ratings