Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fabaocalypse
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New contract , wrong direct debit payment, rubbish "customer service" - fuming

At the beginning of January I upgraded from Broadband Option One to Option Two, after being bombarded with BT 'special deal' invite letters and so forth; I spent an age on the phone with the operative making sure that (a) the package was right for me and (b) this would not impact on a negative way with costs, as I am on an EXTREMELY tight budget and could not afford to spend any more than I currently was.

I was offered a 'special loyalty discount' and the figures came out:

£13.65 40gb broadband
£3.30 remote call minder
£15.45 line rental
£32.40 total charge

As opposed to:

£17.80 10gb broadband
£3.30 remote call minder
£17.75 line rental
£38.85 total charge

For a while now I have been paying £39.50 per month and it was confirmed I would not pay any more than this. 

Sounds great, doesn't it?

Then my bill came; I'm away from home recovering from surgery at the moment so I didn't check my bill until the weekend just gone, to find they are claiming £44.00 per month!

Where the heck does this figure come from??

So I emailed. Got a nice email back saying, we're terribly sorry, we can't stop the payment coming out (today) as it's too close but we can refund it and collect the proper amount.

So I emailed again, many thanks, can you tell me when this will happen?

I get an email back saying, pleased to tell you your payment has been reduced to £34.00. No mention of refund.

So I phone (at my expense), spend hours with one person who 'patiently' explains that the money can't go back to my bank account  - as mentioned in the first email - but has been credited to my BT account, and I can request a refund on my next bill - if it's in credit.

So I explain this is unacceptable, as the 'no increase in cost' was of the essence of my taking out the contract with them.

They say they can't help and put me through to 'billing'. I go through the whole thing again. No joy; they can't refund.

Sorry, but I can't buy groceries NOW with a credit to my BT account which may or may not be granted in three months time! BT's part in advance/part in arrears billing arrangements pretty much guarantee you will have at least a small debit on your account unless you are grossly overpaying them.

Billing person says he will get his manager to ring me in fifteen minutes. That was ninety minutes ago, and nothing. Just tried the 'online chat' thing and it doesn't seem to work on Chrome. Marvellous.

All I want is a refund - NOW - of the £10 they have over-collected today. This 'not until your next bill' nonsense is just that - nonsense. What if THEIR error had made them take £444, or £44,400? Would they think themselves allowed to hold onto that? Ridiculous.

Before I had to quit work I spent nearly twelve years working with the collection of direct debits and know how they work.

Under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme, I can get my bank to claim back the whole amount and force them to reclaim the correct amount - but this is more work on my account, and why should I do it?

Does anybody from BT read these pages? A phone company really should have decent phone operatives and a decent attitude to their customers.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: New contract , wrong direct debit payment, rubbish "customer service" - fuming

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: New contract , wrong direct debit payment, rubbish "customer service" - fuming

You should switch to whole bill direct debit, if you have a monthly payment plan these things happen quite regular
0 Ratings
Fabaocalypse
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thank you, I will try that when I can get to a PC, my phone won't allow me to post the links the contact form needs.

0 Ratings
Fabaocalypse
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

That doesn't work for me I'm afraid, not enough in the budget for lump sums.

I understand how BT calculates their DD amounts to be vastly in their favour, which is shady to say the least but admitting to an obvious error and then blatantly refusing to correct it is most unethical.

In my case it's 'only' £10 but they could apply the same 'rule' to any amount they so choose... What if they take £100 too much, or £1000? 

'Sorry we made a mistake but you can't have it back for three months'.

Ridiculous. 

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

If you need to make a lump payment are you in debit? Did your last bill say you were in debit to them?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

It's very easy to get the whole amount paid back. Just one call to your bank will get the whole amount re-paid within 5 minutes.

Just ask the bank customer services person to speak with the direct debit indemnity department - they are very experienced in sorting these things out.

BT will then add the correct amount to your next bill.

0 Ratings
Fabaocalypse
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

@Geo1986: no I don't need to make a lump payment; I mean that your suggestion of paying 'whole bill direct debit' isn't possible for me because of my limited budget, hence the monthly payment option.

@A1: yes, I do know about that. My point is I shouldn't have to. Sadly, many bank staff aren't as aware of the DDGS as they should be. 

0 Ratings
Fabaocalypse
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Well, I contacted the Care Team by email as suggested, and after a couple of days received a reply apologising and confirming that a refund of £10 should be credited to my bank account "in five working days".

Here we are, after close of business on the sixth working day, and no refund.

Hey ho.

I have emailed again.

I know it's "only" £10, but it is the principal of the thing; BT should not be allowed to make errors and then refuse to correct them.

0 Ratings
Fabaocalypse
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Well... the plot thickens. Forum mods team please read, since you told me you had sorted this out!

I eventually got my £10 refund, after about a fortnight, and not the five working days as promised, and expected the March payment to be reduced to the £34 that was agreed.

In the meantime, I was contacted by BT and offered Infinity 'at no extra charge'. My new hub is here, and the engineer is coming tomorrow to install it.

However, BT took £47 from my account this month. £47 which I cannot afford. Which I have repeatedly told them I cannot afford, after being offered a 'better deal' than the amount I was previously paying.

I have emailed already, but will be phoning their rubbish customer service department tomorrow to cancel the upgrade, and, if I can get out of it, the contract.

I'm more than fed up with the financial embarrassment and the extra cost in calls and stress this bunch of clowns is calling me.

0 Ratings