cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angstweevil
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

New customer confused by activation issues, lack of paperwork?

Go to solution

Hi there, 

My 90 year old father has just moved house and switched to BT and I'm trying to remote troubleshoot some issue for him.

He's got BT ADSL broadband, and that's all set up and working. However he (and I) are baffled by a couple of issues:

1. Activating his online account

2. Working out what his BT-supplied e-mail address password etc. might be.

The situation as described to me is that while the BT engineer came along and gave him the Homehub etc, he doesn't have any other paper work.

He's been receiving e-mails to his old e-mail account prompting him to activate his account. When we click on that (I'm working via Teamviewer) it prompts him for the answer to his secret question (Mother's maiden name) which is then rejected.

The onscreen instructions then suggest inputting his account number - but since he doesn't have a bill yet, he doesn't have one to hand.

So we're at an impasse.

Since I'm unfamilliar with the BT new account process, I'm not sure how things should have worked. How does he set uop an e-mail address? How should he proceed at this point to get the account activated.

If there is a proceedure that I can do on his behalf, so much better - he's just had a ministroke, so is finding this rather irksome.

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New customer confused by activation issues, lack of paperwork?

Go to solution

Hi Angstweevil

Send us an email using the contac the mods link in my profile and I can help with this.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I'm sure the moderator will be able to sort it out for you. 

These might be of interest for reference.

I have tried to activate my BT ID but my security answer is incorrect

What is a BT ID and how can I get one?

How to activate a BT Mail address

As detailed in the first link, if you know the address and phone number BT can send the account number through the post. Possibly no harm in requesting that anyway? 

Angstweevil
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

That's actually extraordinarily helpful advice thanks for that. Yes I'm sure the mods will be able to untangle stuff for us, but in the meantime I've done as you've suggested and kicked off the process of getting the account number sent by post.

Thanks for picking out those support articles.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

BT have made changes to the BT ID and BT Mail systems recently so I'm not sure of the exact process now, but it sounds as though when signing up for BT Broadband you are asked whether or not you want to also create a primary BT Mail e-mail address.

See  All about BT Mail

If your father chose to create one at that time then I assume you know the xxx@btinternet.com e-mail address and are just trying to activate it and set the password? If not then it will probably let him create one when creating a primary BT ID.

It is normal for customers to then use the xxx@btinternet address as the primary BT ID (though I believe you can use an alternative address if you so wish). This BT ID is then used to login to the different services via a PC, tablet, mobile phone, etc. If you want to keep things simple I would advise using the primary xxx@btinternet address as the primary BT ID, but different customers have their own preferred way of doing things.

Just be aware that it might not be easy for the customer to change the primary BT ID once set up. If it's unsuitable then the moderators can probably get the primary one changed for a customer if necessary. Customers can easily create/delete secondary BT IDs and e-mail addresses (sub-accounts), for example for other family members.

The BT Mail and BT ID stuff confuses most of us at one time or another to be honest. There are plenty of posts by confused existing customers trying to activate/change things. I'm sure I'll be posting before long as I'm still yet to be moved onto the new BT Mail system and my current BT ID isn't a full e-mail address. Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Angstweevil
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your suggestions. 20 minutes with the BT Web site has just left me wanting to punch something, so excuse me while I set out what I've tried and how I've failed, just in case it helps anyone else.

I successfully set up dad's My BT and his BT ID. (The login e-mail supplied for me by BT to use as a user name is a now discontinued e-mail address from his previous ISP)

Log in and scroll down. There's a panel marked Yahoo BT Mail (rather than BT Mail, whixh I would expect for a new customer). Stiil perhaps, I can set up an e-mail address. After following many 'Learn More' links, and links explaining how BT mail is in transition, I get to the page that says to set up a new account I should log into MyBT and then click 'Email' in the top menu bar. 

That results in a pop up saying '

Sorry

There isn't a BT Yahoo! Mail service associated with the username/email address you've entered.

Continue to MyBT >'

I'm not surprised - I'm logging in using an e-mail address from a defunct old-ISP account. I want to set up a new BT address.

So, setting up a Yahoo account is impossible because to do that I have to log into mail first, which I can't

Setting up a new BT account is impossible because I don't have a Manage BT Email option in MyBT

It's impossible to check whether I have BT or Yahoo because it either asks me for a bt e-mail address so it can check, or tells me to examine the menu bar of the e-mail box I can't get into.

I'm at an impasse - you can imagine my frustration. Nothing for it but a phone call, I guess

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
just leave it in the mods hands they will take personal ownership and get this resolved fully
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:

The BT Mail and BT ID stuff confuses most of us at one time or another to be honest. There are plenty of posts by confused existing customers trying to activate/change things. I'm sure I'll be posting before long as I'm still yet to be moved onto the new BT Mail system and my current BT ID isn't a full e-mail address. Smiley LOL

Well BT tried to move me to the new BT ID and BT Mail system today and as predicted the process failed with a 'technical error'.  Smiley Frustrated

One thing I did notice on the help pages though is that you can in theory easily change the BT ID username (e-mail address).

See  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44847/c/346

So if you do ever manage to set up a BT Mail address then you should be able to change the BT ID username to match if you no longer want to use the old ISP e-mail address.

0 Ratings
Angstweevil
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I finally got it sorted today with a one hour online chat with a BT rep. We spent about 30 minutes until they got to the 'Oh.... that's odd' bit, and then had to tinker about with a backend tool.

Net result, he's a brand new customer, but has a shiny new BT Yahoo Mail account. Still, that'll do for now. 

Thanks once again for your support.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

That's good. He's ahead of me now as I currently can't get back into MyBT. Smiley Frustrated 

So maybe being on BT Yahoo Mail isn't such a bad thing for the time being? Strange that they set it up like that for a new customer though.

When they do move an account over to BT Mail all existing BT e-mail addresses stay the same so he won't lose the address he has got when they eventually move him across. He shouldn't lose any e-mail messages either, but just be careful about following the BT advice to delete and re-create all accounts on devices. Much safer to just change the settings to those required on any e-mail client programs/apps. The BT advice is flawed in certain situations. If he only uses the webmail interface then none of that would be of concern.

Good luck when (if ever) the moving to BT Mail message arrives.

0 Ratings