Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jemmingham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

New line but already have Openreach MK4 socket

Hi there, 

Wondering if anyone can help as I've got a BT engineer visit booked in to help solve this but need some clarification before that. 

The BT sales team and some other broadband providers keep telling me there is no line into my property. 

However I can see a) an old school phone line next to my TV/AV socket and also an OpenReach MK4 Master Socket 5c. 

So how can there be "no" line?!

This is a rented property on the third floor of an apartment block so I've no idea how they could put a new line in anyway but also I would need the landlords consent. 

All the providers are telling me there's no line but I can see two and I have explained this. Also I'm of the understanding that the openreach socket is fairly modern. 

This just isn't making sense to me can anyone shed any light? 

Thanks I'm advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New line but already have Openreach MK4 socket

@Jemmingham 

Do you have an order for service, from BT Retail?

Its Openreach that provide the network, but if there is no active line, then there will not be any routing shown.

If you have already placed an order, then it will all be sorted.

0 Ratings
Jemmingham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe  thanks for the quick reply. 

Yes I have made the order from BT and engineer is scheduled from 2nd of June. 

They are saying there is "no" line but could it be a case that there is and it just needs activating. 

I got different answers from different members of the sales team but one guy was adament they would need to drill in a new line I just don't know how that will be possible being in a third floor apartment... Could he be wrong? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If there is an existing socket, then there will not be any drilling. The wiring from the apartment will already go back to a common junction box, usually in a locked cupboard somewhere within the block. This is done during the building construction.

Openreach will simply reconnect that back into the network, so there should be nothing to be concerned about.

0 Ratings
Jemmingham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

That's what I thought. Ive spoken to three broadband providers and every single one said there is no line and an engineer would need to wire a line into the property?! 

I know they are just looking at a system but I gave them all the information above. 

The BT guy said it's good news there's an OpenReach socket but they will still need to drill a new one in?!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

It simply means that there is no routing showing on the Openreach database. That will be corrected once the visit is made. Its not unusual for this to happen, especially in apartment blocks.

You should be able to check the progress of your order by logging into MyBT.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 7

As already indicated, the presence of a master socket only shows that the property was once served, the ‘line’ back to the exchange from the socket may or may not be intact, and if it isn’t,  then obviously some engineering intervention is needed to get it back working.....many providers , if taking a bundle of services don’t charge for the install ( it’s the same price as a working line takeover ) although some do charge for an ‘install’, especially if it’s just a phone line with no broadband.

If the socket still had a stopped line service on it ( so there would be a soft dialtone , which let’s you make emergency calls and use 17070 to confirm the circuit number ) then BT ( or whoever you picked as a provider ) would be able to raise a ‘start’ order rather than an install, and the lead time may be quicker, as they don’t need to book an engineer visit, but if the records no longer show a stopped  line at the address they have to book an engineer visit.

Its entirely possible that even though you have been given an installation date, if the line can be brought into service remotely, you may not even see the installer,  but you need to be ‘in’ , just in case they need to enter the property.

0 Ratings