March 2021

March 2021

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 23

Re: New or renewed contracts from the 1st September 2020

Go to solution

Hi @StewM. The table confirms what we already knew about implementation of the automatic CPI increase and the link explains the new requirements for deals struck from 1 September. But there's no guarantee that pre-September deals which run beyond March 2021 will be exempt from the 3.9% surtax, and the cynic in me notes that the T&C give BT the right to implement such a change, albeit with the right to cancel if you don't like it. One hopes that @garybs29's optimism is justified but it's not a given.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Guru
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Agreed @pottyperson . It is always wise to to treat BT with an touch of cynicism.

Stew

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Ah, but we have to help BT invest in new infrastructure, services etc.

Annual price changes and CPI

Each year we will adjust the amount customers pay per month for their plans according to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation plus an additional 3.9%.

The CPI rate is announced in January each year and we will adjust a customer's bill by this amount plus an additional 3.9% from 31 March of the same year. For example, if the CPI rate announced in January 2020 is 2%, then their monthly plan prices from 31 March 2021 will increase by 5.9%.

This reflects the increase in the costs to run and invest in the network and service that we provide.

This will impact the following services:

• Landline
  • Broadband
  • TV
  • Sport 
  • Mobile
  • Extra charges, like out out-of-allowance calling rates and your optional add-ons.

BT's explanation of the upcoming increase in subscription costs. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

Wow, a cynicism explosion!

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Carlusha,

I'm not entirely convinced by the need to support investment argument.

A lot of businesses would invest from their own funds or borrowings and then recover the costs from the additional customers who would be attracted by that investment. It is not all that obvious how existing customers would benefit from the new investment. It is also interesting to compare the approach of BT with that of at least one other highly regarded provider which offers a "Lifetime Fixed Price Guarantee"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

You cynics must be fun to live with. Quite simply there not going to change every contract to the new cpi plus 3.9% rises as it would be very shaky legal ground if they did

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

@garybs29 We all chose our own position, based on our own experience.

Stew

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

@garybs29 wrote:

You cynics must be fun to live with. Quite simply there not going to change every contract to the new cpi plus 3.9% rises as it would be very shaky legal ground if they did

Shaky moral ground perhaps but legally sound. Have a look at the T&C section Changes We May Make, para 17 et seq here. (The T&C were updated yesterday but I think you'll find that the basic provisions have been there all along.)

Happily, we cynics often prove to have been fretting for nothing, though we're there as an antidote to naivety and apathy for those who care to take any notice.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

@northshieldswrote:

Thank you for that as I hadn't noticed it, although my contract still has over a year to run. Also, I haven't yet got my head around how it will relate to the Halo price promise.

I've always saw Halo as being a bit of a 'con' to be honest, and am on record already with my thoughts on that particular product. For the life of me I can't see why anyone would want to sign up for it. This IS BT we're talking about here.

0 Ratings