cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

New "BT Group PLC" Direct Debit setup - No idea what this is for?

Hi,

Just got a notification from my bank that a new "BT Group plc" Direct Debit has been setup to go out of my account this month, but I have no idea what this is for?

I have a phone line/broadband and mobile through BT but they have recently been paid and the new Direct Debit amount is for a bigger amount than those.

Did phone BT but the very helpful gentleman who answered couldn't find anything for my account beyond the already billed amount.

How can I find what I am being billed for? The DD does have a reference starting with GB...

Thanks.

S.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: New "BT Group PLC" Direct Debit setup - No idea what this is for?

try phoning CS 03301234150 or you can try billing   https://www.bt.com/help/contact-bt/account-and-billing/broadband

if you have online banking then you should be able to check your account and see what the change is.  Have you had anything from BT about a change to your account - maybe to do with xbox?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the suggestion but it was Customer Services whom I phoned and were unable to locate the new Direct Debit.

They did suggest I report to my bank as fraudulent but as it has come from BT Group plc and I do already have a relationship with the company I thought there might be a more measured approach to finding out what is happening.

He did suggest the reference number sounded like an account number but was unable to locate it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

have you checked MYBT to see if any new orders have been placed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@tterminus  You might also check your MyBT for that should at least illustrate what you have, what you've paid and what you are due to pay and when.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

If you contact your bank they will have a information about the direct debit claim which you as a customer do not routinely see, for example they have the reference number quoted by BT via their bank so that if the payment were to be bounced they would know at BTs end which customer did not pay. You may also be able to see the reference quoted if you have online banking.

Typically that reference number is the BT customer account number. You could then check it is yours and if not use that in a phonecall with BT to put the two ends together.

Dont forget, under the direct debit indemnity scheme you can simply contact your bank and ask them to return it unpaid and your account will be immediatly recredited. That will then get BT, in theory, looking at it it from their end althoughI fear the automated systems will simply try again at least once.  I would not bounce it without first calling BT to tell them that is what you are doing and getting someone to note it on your file.