cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Nightmare getting any broadband sorted

So for about a month now, we have been trying to get some BT Broadband sorted in our flat.

We were originally with TalkTalk at our previous flat and upon discussing moving our package to the new one, they told us that we could go from around 70/20 to their 150/20-50 package or something similar. We went with the upgrade and got told on the day of installation that it couldn’t be done. We cancelled our package with them and went with BT, the broadband deals that were shown said that we could get the “ULTRAFAST FIBRE 250” package at our flat. As myself and my partner depend on good internet connection for our work, we went with that package for the massive speed improvement.

Come the day of the engineer arriving, the engineer says that it cannot be installed right away due to the fibre line only being installed to the cabinet under the stairs and no fibre connection is installed from that cabinet to the flat itself. He says this could take up to 2-3 months to complete due to permission for installation is needed from the building owner. We get told we would be put on a free package that can be used immediately at the property due to the already setup Fibre to the Cabinet service.

Understandable, we continue with this and see that BT puts us on one of the slowest packages 20 down and 1 up, nearly unusable for ourselves due to upload speed required by ourselves. Therefore, we choose the 250 fibre package previously, for these super fast speeds.

Checking the official BT DSL checker, we found that our flat can provide up to 80mbps down and 20mbps up. This basically being the BT “Superfast Fibre 2” package that provides 67mbps down and 19-20mbps up, this package would be very suitable for our needs, it’s very weird why we got put on an unusually slow package instead. We contact BT phones support, after 5-7 transfers between different departments and people, we continue to explain we wish to upgrade that free slow package to the Superfast Fibre 2 package that is available at the property as shown in the BT ADSL checker.

We get told to wait until the package is installed and then contact to get it upgraded once it’s activated, so we at least have a connection ready on the 3rd of January.

We get off the phone with support and we decide to follow the advice and wait until the package is installed.

Yesterday and today, I get called during busy work hours and I ask to get called back on Thursday when i am free during work hours, I was not aware what the call was about. I get told they will call me back on Thursday but, today we check the account on the website and see that the free package has been cancelled yesterday? We asked to get the package upgraded, not to cancel it.
The full fibre 250 package is still being shown on our account due to it being put on hold however.

What is the best thing we can do at this stage? Because we have basically ran out of ideas and this has become the most stressful experience we have had with an ISP yet. We just want decent internet connection as soon as possible, so far we have been without internet connection for over 4 weeks.

Here is our BT ADSL checker results for the exact flat number:
chrome_hgRVYui5rK.jpg

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Nightmare getting any broadband sorted

@catgrant 

You would be best ordering the VDSL service as you must be very close to the cabinet, however using the flat number is not really accurate enough, as the checker really needs a phone number.

Have you got a working BT Retail phone number yet, as that would need to be ordered first.

Is there an Openreach phone socket in the flat?

If you have been given an activation date for the 3rd Jan, then you will have to wait until then to see if your phone line starts working. You should have already been told your phone number, but please do not post it here.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

@Keith_Beddoe 

Hi,

We have not been provided with a BT phone number yet.

BT was installed and used by the previous tenant before us. We do have an OpenReach socket. TalkTalk was never actually installed in the flat in the first place as they never showed up and couldn't give us a date of when they would.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

I could be wrong with this but I'm sure I read that BT will not install FTTC for new customers when their property can receive FTTP which it would appear yours can.

I suspect that because of that all you will get prior to the FTTP installation is an ADSL installation until such times as your FTTP can be installed.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

@gg30340 wrote:

I could be wrong with this but I'm sure I read that BT will not install FTTC for new customers when their property can receive FTTP which it would appear yours can.

I suspect that because of that all you will get prior to the FTTP installation is an ADSL installation until such times as your FTTP can be installed.

You could be right about that. But even an ADSL2+ connection is not bad, at 10-19.5Mbs, which is plenty for most residential users.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

@gg30340 

Hi,

The engineer confirmed that we cannot receive FTTP until they have permission from the building factor to install the line to the property. Hence why BT offered us the free package until that could happen. I'm just at a loss as to why they cancelled that. 

I was unable to hear them on the phone due to background noise, so I don't even know what they were saying when they called yesterday/today.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@catgrant wrote:

@gg30340 

Hi,

The engineer confirmed that we cannot receive FTTP until they have permission from the building factor to install the line to the property. 

That will be correct but what I am saying is that they will not install FTTC if FTTP is available. I think that it would be irrelevant whether or not the factor allows it to be installed as regards whether you get FTTC or FTTP. If they are not allowed to install it by the factor that becomes your problem not theirs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

See how you get on with ADSL. My Daughter In Law works from home on a 10Mbs connection back to her employer in London, and can make and receive phone calls over that connection.

Remember that a single VOIP phone call only uses 64Kbs upload and download speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I get it now. So would that mean we can't get anything from BT until FTTP is available?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

No. You could get ADSL which is what Keith is also suggesting.

0 Ratings