cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

No FTTP installation; still got disconnected from old ISP

I recently signed-up to switch to a BT from my previous ISP as FTTP had recently become available in my area. Shortly after this, Openreach stopped doing installations.

Obviously it's absolutely right that new installations should stop for the time being. However, BT appear to be carrying on as normal. They contacted my previous ISP and my broadband was disconnected yesterday (the installation date).

I'm looking for advice on the best way to contact BT to resolve this. I've seen on this forum that they may be able to temporarily activate the existing copper line remotely, which would be good. However, I gather all the phone lines are busy and using online support is recommended instead.

Does anyone know if online support would be able to help with this issue? If so, which of the online support or complaint 'categories' would be the best to use?

If there's a straightforward way to get reconnected it would be good to know. I wouldn't be surprised if other people were in this position also, as all I've received from BT so far is an alert to say 'Sorry for the Delay'.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: No FTTP installation; still got disconnected from old ISP

@markh1 

Its not a case of simply activating the line, as work needs to be done in the exchange to insert the broadband equipment. Then the network routing would have to be built.

I am not sure how much work Openreach are doing in the exchanges, or whether there would be any spare broadband equipment.

Nothing could happen anyway until your phone line has been activated with a BT Retail phone number, has this been done yet?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Try and call about an hour before closing, I called a week ago and got through quite quickly.

They really need to sort out this issue, Im due to get FTTP installed this Friday and so far they have carried on as if nothing has happened, hub was sent out yesterday for delivery tomorrow, I dont need it anyway, I got a email today saying "my engineer is getting ready, are you ready?", that email even mentioned that anyone self isolating to re-arrange appointment.

Fortunately im currently 4G broadband with EE & 3 sims, so not getting FTTP at the moment will have zero problem with me, what I would prefer though is that they pause the order, as I certainly dont want to pay for any adsl service they may turn on as I just wont use it (3.5Mb at best), but im prepared to fight that battle when things get back to normal.   At least I cant complain about waiting in all day 😂.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the reply. I've kept my previous landline phone number in the switch. There's a green tick next to ' Service activation for Landline' on my order page, but I can't check the line as I don't have a phone to plug into it...

Since my broadband was connected (via copper) up until yesterday, I'd thought it would be possible for BT to activate it again remotely (since they use the same exchange and network as my previous suppliers).  I realise that my FTTP connection will be delayed, so it would be good to get an alternative connection in the mean time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@markh1 

It depends on who your last ISP was, as some have their own broadband equipment in the exchange which has to be removed first.

0 Ratings