cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naranjilla
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

No broadband connection during Covid-19 lockdown; job at risk

I am a vulnerable customer with a chronic health condition (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). 

My partner and I are locked down in a property in Folkestone, Kent, for the foreseeable. The property was disconnected from BT wifi a few months back, and there is currently no broadband whatsoever.

We are in theory fortunate to be able to continue working from home during this time, but are really struggling to work remotely over 4G hotspots - the quality is simply not good enough for videoconferencing and reliable remote file access, which is vital for both our jobs. 

I am informed BT cannot remotely reactivate the wifi connection, despite the property previously having been connected to BT broadband (with no other supplier in the interim). I have been offered a mid-2020 reconnection, i.e. 60 more days of not being able to participate in videoconferences or use core work services such as Microsoft Teams.

My employer (a university) is already planning significant staffing cuts due to expected loss of income in the hundreds of millions due to Coronavirus impacts and I am concerned that the fact that I cannot currently do my job properly will count against me. 

If any BT representative reads this message (or if others have constructive suggestions) I would be grateful for any advice, or update if there is a prospect of new connections taking place before June 2020. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: No broadband connection during Covid-19 lockdown; job at risk

did you decide to cancel your broadband package with BT?

you cannot just get wifi you would have to sign up for a new broadband package which includes line rental probably similar to what you had before.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Naranjilla
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

I have already purchased a broadband package - I ordered the new package over a month ago. We have the BT hub ready to go. The line simply needs to be activated.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

when was activation date ?  have you tried to see if phone working?  have you connected hub assuming you have it and if so what colour is hub light?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Naranjilla
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

The hub flashes pink - error (because the line has not yet been activated, pending an engineer visit). 

0 Ratings