Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris1234
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

No connection needed but got a BT connection charge

Hi,

I've just received my bill and in one off charges I've been charged for a connection fee because an engineer had to come out and connect my line. This didn't happen as I got an email saying: "

When you placed your order, we thought we needed to send an engineer to install your BT phone service, so we gave you an appointment for 27-02-2017 between 8am and 1pm.

But since then, we've found that you've already got a working phone socket and wiring in your home, so we don't need to send the engineer." 

I've tried online chat, no help. When I phoned up I was told it would have been 130 pounds if it was a connection charge, I explained to him it was reduced as it was during a sale (£60) but as I didn't need an engineer visit I shouldn't be charged. Eventually when asking him to explain he hung up...

"Connection charge - £130 including VAT. The connection charge covers work an engineer has done to connect your line. You have to pay the charge whether an engineer had to visit your home or not, as they would have carried out some work elsewhere. We checked your property and told you about the charge before completing your order" 

This was an error on BT'S end, they checked later and my property has a working line. Aside from all of this it states on the BT website "If you've signed up for a calls and broadband package or a calls, broadband and TV package, there is no connection charge."

I would really appreciate some help with this. How do I approach BT for a refund?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: No connection needed but got a BT connection charge

@chris1234

Welcome to this user forum.

The charge covers the work needed by Openreach at the exchange,  the street cabinet, and the DP,  even if there is an existing socket.

However, as you said that you placed the order for phone and broadband at the same time, then there is not normally a connection charge.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi @chris1234 and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection fee. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Please drop me over an email with your details. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
chris1234
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi David,

I've gone to your profile and I can't find a contact button. Under contact me it just says add to friends?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

mod.jpg

Its not visible on the mobile site, only the full site.

0 Ratings
chris1234
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I'm using Chrome, just tried IE too?!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

My fault @chris1234 Smiley Embarassed. Can you try again?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings