cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobbieC
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

No dial tone during switch from Sky to BT...

Hi there,

I am changing my talk/broadband package from Sky to BT, keeping the same phone number. BT said they manage the switch and sure enough we had a message from Sky confirming that the termination date would be 12th May. I also had a text from BT saying the activation date was 12th May. 

Today I noticed my phone line wasn’t working and thought my phone was broken. When checking with Sky they said the broadband was finishing on 12th May but the phone line finished on 27th April and should already be with my new provider (BT). Do I assume that, because my official activation date with BT isn’t until 12th May, I have no phone line for next ten days? Even though Sky said it should already be with BT? Or has something gone wrong during the switch? 

Thanks for your help, I’m clueless!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: No dial tone during switch from Sky to BT...

@BobbieC 

Did you first ask BT to take over your service, or did you ask Sky to cease your service first, as that makes a difference?

Was your phone number originally issued by BT Retail, before you moved to Sky, and you are now returning to BT?

If you followed the correct process, and your number originally belonged to BT Retail, the I would expect the phone and broadband to be activated on the 12th May, as the Sky equipment in their exchange would need to be disconnected first.

0 Ratings
BobbieC
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks so much for replying. 

I asked BT to take over the service. They said I didn't need to do anything else and would let Sky know. Sky said the service would be terminated on 12th which is when BT had said theirs would be activated. The Sky broadband/talk was in my housemate's name and the BT will be in mine as my housemate is moving out. My housemate got a message from Sky saying the phone was being disconnected on 27th April and would then be with the new supplier, but didn't mention it to me so when I tried the phone today and it didn't work I was very confused, that's when he mentioned it.

I don't mind at all as I never use the home phone (though if I had been a pensioner with no mobile phone that could be an unfortunate situation) but I'm concerned that maybe that means there's an issue with BT taking over. 

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

This is not that simple as transferring your account from one ISP  to another. Your flat mate who had the sky account has terminated his account on 27/4.  You have applied to BT for broadband package with activation 12/5 hence why phone line does not work and should be connected on 12/5 when your BT package starts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@BobbieC 

So its a change of account holder, you did not mention that, which is why its taking longer. There can be up to 10 days delay, maybe slightly longer during the current crisis.

Your phone and broadband should be activated on the 12th May. You may find the phone works a day before that.

That date would be the earliest possible date.

0 Ratings
BobbieC
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thank you both - it's a bit of a complicated scenario hence not going into those details - but my flatmate didn't actually cancel, I just asked BT to take over and they contacted Sky who text my flatmate, if that makes sense? So the BT part of it came first. But yes, they did say it would take about ten days, which is why I wasn't expecting it to be connected yet - but then Sky said the disconnection would happen on 12th, so I wasn't expecting it to be disconnected either!

I think I just need to sit tight until the 12th and hope that all goes through smoothly don't I? I'm too much of a worrier! Thank you both, I really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me. 

0 Ratings