cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seagulldave
Message 1 of 10

Non-BT domain / email address

Hello

Please excuse me re-posting. Have changed subject header!

I'm moving from one area in the uk to another giving me an opportunity to review my telecoms since I currently have different broadband line and isp/host providers plus a separate phone line. It makes sense to try to consolidate various services and reduce costs.

I have a current order for unlimited Infinity2 for phone and BB but following my experience with BT customer services for phone, business and broadband and reading this forum should I be worried? I am seriously thinking of cancelling!

Anyway, my questions are:

Can I transfer my domain to BT to host or should I keep it in place with my current host, Demon?

Can I use my domain email address with BT rather than use the btinternet appellation?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Aratark
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Non-BT domain / email address

To the best of my knowledge, you can't transfer a domain to a residential BT acct, you would need a busines acct for that, however, there are different parts of BT that you could transfer the domain to.  This information is easily googleable, so I'll leave that for your leisure.

With regard to sending via your domain email provider, that is perfectly allowable.  If you were to transfer the domain to a BT Business acct, that would allow you to use Microsoft 365 as the mail provider for that domain, if you wished, which is the mail provider for BT Business in the same way that Residential use Yahoo (changing to Critical Path as we speak).

0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

to be honest, as a professional webmaster, I DO NOT recommend using any attached hosting feature from any telecom companies. I myself had tried a few and they tend to limit your features, even using a business account. Remember they are telecome suppliers, they are good at providing telephone communications, not web hosting and I think these are whole lot more technical. If BT cant handle even a phone line, I would be worried if they touch my website, especially I make money out from it!

I would rather pay some money to dedicaded hosting servers and receive 24/7 UK BASED ENGLISH SPEAKING support. Plus the fact you get full information of their server versions, and any details and what kind of database it supports.. etc.

To keep things simple, I recommend using Google Apps, its a lot more versatile and you can get much better features out from it, not to mention the simplicity of integrating to you phones and computer, etc.

0 Ratings
seagulldave
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for both replys.

I'm keeping my domain at Demon and they said they can forward emails from my Demon mailbox, ie my domain email address, to my BT internet service and I'll pick them up when I use my Mac email client. I guess in the same way I can access email on my non-BT smartphone. Demon make a small charge to keep my Domain and to keep my mailbox live. Can you see any problems there?

I work for myself from home and probably should have chosen a business service, but it's just me and the Infinity bundle looked good. In trying to simplyfy things have probably complicated them!

The btinternet email addresses are good for personal use but want to continue to use my domain since it's more professional.

Have thought of cancelling the order, since move next week, and perhaps look at a business offer, but tbh don't think I can cope with BT customer services after the last couple of weeks, I'm afraid.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

You will find that the residential T&Cs, forbid commercial usage, so you would have to go for the business package.

You will also get a much quicker fault resolution with business broadband, otherwise you could be unable to use your broadband, for quite some time.

If you look on the BT Business page, you should be able to see the deals, and get a contact number which gives a better reply, as business users get priority.

There is also Business users forum here

0 Ratings
seagulldave
Message 6 of 10

Keith - thanks - will look further.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

BT Business give you a choice of packages, with different SLAs, so you can choose which one you like.

0 Ratings
seagulldave
Message 8 of 10

Hi Keith

Just to follow up Re t&cs:

My business service, ie domain registration and mailbox, is provided by Demon. I do not want to host my website off the domestic BT Infinity account, I just want to access and send my professional and personal emails. I can do this off my smartphone for example and don't think that's a t&c problem. 

My website and a couple of others I deal with will be hosted on my Adobe Cloud account via their business service component.

So it's just reading and sending emails that I'm after and browsing the internet. Is this a t&c issue with my prospective Infinity account?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

That should not be a problem, as far as I can see. Its no different than normal users sending personal correspondence, or dealing online.

Provided that an agreed SLA is not needed, then you should be fine with a Residential account.

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Atsang, BT Business support is UK based.

0 Ratings