cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawnhill
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Number ported without permission/request

I recently got BB from BT. Knowing my old service and new service were going to overlap by about a month I wanted a new phone number. I stated, on my online order, that I did not wish to keep my old number. I'd like to point out that I do not have a phone attached to my landline and, for this reason, I don't know my own phone no...
Today I received my final bill from my old provider (virgin) and it's nearly twice as much as usual, for a shorter period of time??? It transpires BT ported my old number, without my permission...and virgin have charged me about £60 extra for 'adding or removing services'. Thanks a lot BT, there was a reason I didn't want to keep my number...right now I'm spitting feathers, calling those lovely people over there in BTland all the unprintable names I can think of...I can't phone them, yet...I can control my typing...I can't guarantee being able to control my tongue...any advice on how to get my money back would be greatly appreciated
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Number ported without permission/request

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

I would imagine you would have to chase Virgin for the money, as they are the ones that charged you, not BT Retail.

Its possible that Virgin charge for ceasing your service, the same as BT Retail do.

Its also possible that the Virgin number originally belonged to BT, and was ported to Virgin at some point in the past.

Virgin would not want to keep that number in its number pool, so by default, they would have given it back to BT.

Its aways best to have a wired phone handy, as most issues with broadband are caused by a noisy or faulty phone line.

0 Ratings
Dawnhill
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your reply...virgin are completely within their rights to charge me extra for changing my package...it was BT who altered my package, without my permission, by porting my number, without my permission, and therefore cancelling my phone line with virgin. This is BTs fault for disregarding my wishes. The number, as far as I'm aware, has never been a BT number, it was issued to me, as a new number 3 years ago. And even if it had been, BT had no right to appropriate the number without permission. Iwanted, and believed I had, a NEW phone number...I wanted both services to run concurrently, but BT took it upon themselves to @#$* everything up for me. As a result, my virgin contract was altered and I'm having to pay more than double my usual bill for a much shorter period of time. This is on BT...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Normally, if you move providers, the new provider automatically contacts your previous supplier. This is the way it works since Ofcom changed the rules. You used to require a MAC number. So BT are just following the Ofcom guidance.

Did you tell BT that you were with Virgin Media? That is the only way they would know, as Virgin Media have a totally different network that BT Retail or Openreach are not involved in, and do not know who their customers are.

0 Ratings
Dawnhill
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

No...I didn't give them my number, and I did not request to keep my number.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@Dawnhill wrote:
No...I didn't give them my number, and I did not request to keep my number.

But did you tell them you were moving from Virgin Media?

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Dawnhill
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

I don't think so, but it was a few weeks ago, so I couldn't be 100% certain. Thanks for your help...
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Hi @Dawnhill,

It sounds like the online order chose to take over the available line, or service point, at your address. This would mean that any service that was there would be taken over which should mean that your account elsewhere would cease. The online process is very robotic and should do what you tell it to do. There should be little room for error. I'm sorry that it appears to have done the opposite of what you have asked.

The best way forward is for you to raise a complaint against the order process. To find out BT's official way of making a complaint please go to Make a complaint. They'll review it for you and get back to you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

You shouldn't be charged anything for porting your number , and the term they use is vague , adding or removing services doesn't sound like number port, so you should contact them for a refund if you have been charged for porting a number, but I don't think that is what the charge is for, any VM charges have nothing to do with BT.

As BT and VM's networks are totally independent from each other , then BT would have no idea you had Virgin and what your number was with VM, unless you told them.

Its possible , if the number you had with VM was originally a BT number, and when you ceased service with VM they handed the number back to BT and a huge coincidence happened and they allocated that number by chance, but this is very unlikely, we don't even know if the number was BT originally 

IMHO you anger at BT is misplaced 

0 Ratings
Dawnhill
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

The extra charges from virgin were for 'adding or removing services' BT ported my number against my wishes and contrary to my request to not keep my number. This action has resulted in my virgin phone being removed from my package, resulting in higher charges. These extra charges only exist because of the actions of BT. As I did not request to keep my number, what right do they have, to presume I'm 'switching providers'? The number was issued to me as a new number when I switched to virgin 3 yrs ago, it has our new area code, which has only been in existence for 5 yrs. I have no reason to believe it was ever an open reach/BT number...but is that actually relevant? I DID NOT give BT permission to port my number, I DID NOT request to keep my number...BT took it upon themselves to do this. They are solely responsible for this action, they 'added or removed services' from my virgin package...so tell me IYHO who should I be angry with? Virgin, for charging me for something that has actually happened....or BT, who, by porting my number without my permission, are directly and solely responsible for these extra charges.
0 Ratings