cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fh
Message 1 of 7

Ombudsman complaint

For nearly ten years I have had Bt internet in my former flat in London all was well. For the past 3.5 years in this flat it's been bad - now so bad that I am sitting by the hub using 4G with no wifi... I pay nearly £50 every month just for Internet (and the obligatory unused phone line). I have complained. Despite Bt offering new customers cheaper deals and a newer hub they deem it acceptable to charge me nearly double for a service I don't receive. Illegally Bt staff have said I can only get internet if I sign up for a further twelve months and pay for a new hub (while they continue to charge for a service that doesn't work). If this is not resolved within ten days (it's been months of complaints) I will report this matter to the ombudsman
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ombudsman complaint

you need to phone customer options on 0800 800 030
and renegotiate your contract and request a new hub as part of your new contract your charges have gone up because once you are out of your initial contract you move to a monthly rolling contract and you also lose any discounts you had during your initial contract period
or just go and buy your own router
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Have you complained about the bad Internet and if so what have BT done to try to resolve it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

If it's the Home Hub that's faulty, and if you are out of contract, then the Hub is yours and it's out of warranty.  If that's the case, then it's your equipment that's broken and it's your problem to fix it - just as if it were your computer that was broken.

If it isn't the Home Hub, then that's another matter.  BT are responsible for maintaining the broadband connection.

There's a site on the internet that begins with "e" and ends in "bay" where you can pick up quite cheap Home Hubs.  That's what I did when my last one went flaky.

Alternatively, phone Customer Options (the number's in an earlier post), and practice your haggling skills.  You should be able to get a new Home Hub and a discount on what you're currently paying.  I haven't paid full price for years.  However, there will be a new 12 month contract.

0 Ratings
Fh
Message 5 of 7

Thanks understood all of the above were options but think it shows how businesses practice in order to alienate old and gain new customers.
0 Ratings
Fh
Message 6 of 7

Yes I complained they did nothing - I don't know it is the hub...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The Ombudsman will do nothing until you have been through the BT complaints procedure and given them the opportunity to resolve the problem. If the problem has not been resolved you then have to ask for a deadlock letter which should explain what BT have done to try and resolve the issue and why it has not been resolved.

0 Ratings