cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James5829
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

One month after activation date and still no broadband and no solid information!

I have dealt with many companies over the years and BT over the last month have been by far the worst. Shockingly bad.

Background

I'll try keep this brief in bullet points.

• 16th September - ordered broadband
  • 4th October - Activation date/ Engineer visit. Engineer came and told us that none out of the 200 fibre ports at the cabinet worked and so wouldn't be able to activate the broadband. BT rang and said that engineers would be called out urgently and that it would be up and running by that friday (7th October).
  • 7th October - Still not activated. Rang up BT in the evening who (clearly knowing that it wouldn't be) said that it would be activated by midnight.
  • 8th October - Still not activated. Rang BT who said that it would be activated on Monday (10th October).
  • 10th October - Still not activated. Rang BT yet again who apologised profusely and assured me that it would be activated by Wednesday (12th October)
  • 12th October - Still not activated! At this point I was getting to the end of my tether with BT. I went on the live chat in the evening, and was promised that the broadband would be activated that same evening by midnight. Notice any reccuring theme here?
  • 13th October - After being lied to so many times by BT call centre workers I rang up in the morning and insisted to speak to the manager. He said that he couldn't say when the broadband was going to be activated, but that he was 100% sure that there would be a review on Friday (14th October), after which there would be a definite answer on when the broadband would be activated.
  • 14th October - So now we are at today. I was told that I would be called by BT with an update with information on the results of the review. But of course no call came. I rang BT yet again and waited (again) in the endless phone queue, to find out the results of the review. I was eventually told (after being passed around 3 different departments, that the review didn't take place and would now be carried out on monday. I then asked to speak to the manager, as I didn't think that was acceptable and was told that no manager was available but one would call me back in under an hour. I reluctantly agreed. But of course no call came.

I don't know how BT thinks it can get away with treating its customers like this - absolutely furious! Been lied to so many times, I have no idea when/if my broadband will ever be activated.

Anyone have any ideas what avenue I should go down to get this resolved? I can't call their call centre again as they don't give you any realy answers and just try to decieve you in order to get you off the phone. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: One month after activation date and still no broadband and no solid information!

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media. BT Retail do not get any special treatment.

If there is an issue with the cabinets or the network, then Openreach will be dealing, and will give BT Retail, and all of the other Service Providers that use the Openreach cabinets and external network.

For instance, if the cabinet has been incorrectly installed, or the tie cables between the normal cabinet and the fibre cabinets have been wrongly wired, then this can take a very long time to fix, and may involve bringing back the original installation contractor.

I assume that your phone line is working?

You may be able to order standard BT Broadband, as that comes from the exchange, then upgrade to BT Infinity when Openreach fix the cabinet.

Remember, other providers will be waiting on this as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
James5829
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: One month after activation date and still no broadband and no solid information!

Yes my phone line is working.

I understand that the work is carried out by Openreach, however what I really want is an honest description of what is actually happening and what the actual problem is.

Every person I speak to has given me different answers.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Only Openreach know the actual answer and they are not customer facing
0 Ratings