cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

One-off charges for engineering to fix a fault line in the road ... WHAT THE HELL?

Go to solution

I have just got around to checking recent bills (specifically the December 2017 Bill) and have spotted a one-off charge for £129 

This seems to have been billed at the end of October and I assume it is due to my faulty broadband which I reported in July and didn't actually get fixed adequately until November 8th. I have a log of the last several months of this period to show what was going on.

Can someone contact me to let me know why I seem to be paying for work that needed to occur out in the main road (due to old and fault cabling) and not in my premises. I was reasonably happy to finally get a resolution after months of chasing, this just pisses me off AGAIN. I have said multiple times, if there was a different cable provider I would have left already. This is just a joke. In case you can't tell, I'M NOT HAPPY.

Engineer Home Improvement Service charge - Broadband 30/10/2017

Total one-off charges

£ 129.99

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
PaddyB
Message 2 of 15

Re: One-off charges for engineering to fix a fault line in the road ... WHAT THE HELL?

Go to solution

Hi @john_collis,

If you send me in your details, I'll be able to take a look at the engineer's report and raise a dispute on your behalf.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: One-off charges for engineering to fix a fault line in the road ... WHAT THE HELL?

Go to solution

20180304-1612.png

As discussed on the phone. Here's the line test showing slow upload speed, though this is fast compared to some of what I have seen over the last month, but MUCH slower that I have seend for months at a time e.g. 20Mbs

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I've twice had it happen to me.  I got my money back both times.  It's about time the regulator looked into these charges and how they are monitored.  I got particularly angry over one of the charges as the wring had been done by BT and a second BT technician said it had been done wrong and BT tried to charge me for correcting it.  It seems a charter to make money - do the job wrong then charge the customer for putting it right!  I do wonder if the BT Openreach technicians are on a bonus plan for these charges.  Do raise a complaint with BT - if the wiring fault is not on your side of the master socket then you should get a refund.  It's just a shame you have to go through this.

john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

They have now agreed to refund me. I don't have a problem with the forum mods or the BT customer support people I have dealt with, but Openreach are a waste of space. The engineers seem to be Ok, but the whole process that supports them is a shambles... in my experience.

I will be keeping a closer eye on my bills in future. It shouldn't be something you feel the need to watch.Man Sad

0 Ratings
john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Its raining again!

My line speed just dropped from 80d / 20u to 77d / 1.1u

Noice margin also changed again from 15.7db / 7.9db to 1.7db / 5.1db

The few data points I have so far seem to suggest that I always get a very low Noise when the speed drops. This seems to be counter intuitive unless the line doesn't have enough power behind it.

Line attenuation from 16db to 17.5db.

0 Ratings
john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Been away for 1 1/2 days. I have come back to at least 1 restart.

Data rates now at: 410 Kbps / 68.47 Mbps

The upload speed is getting worse. I haven't seem 410Kbs for years (e.g. 2Mb broadband days).

Either this is a faulty router or Openreach just aren't accepting that there is a problem. I favour the later explanation on past experience.

Noise Margin: 16.5 dB / 13.1 dB

Line Attenuation: 18.1 dB

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @john_collis I called there but missed you, the engineers confirmed they attended again on Saturday and since then I can see the connection has been stable at the optimum speed your line can carry. 

Can you post back to let me know if you're happy for me to close the fault as resolved? 

john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Re: Broadband Speed

Go to solution

Interesting. Just agreed to close a broadband fault as it has now been stable @ 80 / 20 for a week ... guess what ... just had a restart and now running @ 80 / 14. Does this give me real confidence 😞

Lets give it some time to see if it gets worse again.

FYI. @NeilO

0 Ratings
john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Re: Broadband Speed

Go to solution

@NeilO second restart of the day. Now showing 79 down / 6 up.

Its almost someone is watching for when a call gets closed so they can f*%k up the line again.

0 Ratings