Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowshill
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Online Renewal Fine Print

Go to solution

My broadband contract is up for renewal at the end of the month, so when I login to MyBT there is a link to renew online. Using this link I am told (correctly) that my current Fibre 1 contract costs £35.99 a month and I am offered a very attractive rate of £23.99 a month to renew at Fiber 1. This looks great until I read the fine print at the bottom which includes the sentence: "By taking this package you are agreeing to new 24 month minimum term for your broadband plan. If you are staying on the same Broadband plan your existing monthly plan charges will continue to apply, otherwise your new monthly charges are as shown above." Does this really mean that, even though BT knows I am simply renewing my Fibre 1 contract, they are offering me a low price in bold, colourful text, and then telling me in fine print that I won't actually be getting that price - that I will still be paying the old, non-competitive price?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Online Renewal Fine Print

Go to solution

@cowshill 

It would be best to call.

You can call this number  0800 800 030, that number is for contract renewals only. They usually answer very quickly, and you can discuss the renewal of your discounts.

0 Ratings
cowshill
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks, but actually I have already spoken to the 030 number. Unfortunately, although the person I was speaking to could offer me a better price than what I am currently paying, it was not as good as the online offer and he was unable to answer my question about the fine print on the  online renewal. Also, surprisingly, he was unable to negotiate with me, being limited to what prices he could see were available to him. In calling the the 030 number I chose the generic option rather than the "I want to leave" option. Perhaps I should try again on that option as perhaps the people on that line have more knowledge and/or more leeway on negotiating prices.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I would try again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cowshill
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I have now renewed online at the low quoted price. I finally realised that the fine print saying "If you are staying on the same Broadband plan your existing monthly plan charges will continue to apply, otherwise your new monthly charges are as shown above," was boilerplate for all orders and simply meant if I was ordering addons to my broadband but not a new broadband contract, then my basic broadband price would be unchanged. But since I was ordering a new broadband contract, albeit for the same service, then the new price was shown and was what I would pay. The key word is the "otherwise" meaning if new charges are shown, which they were, then those would apply. I am quite happy, as the new 24 month contract is about £20 a month cheaper than what I had been paying.

As an aside, when MyBT first offered to renew my contract several months ago, the offered rate was an INCREASE of a few pounds over my present tariff. So my experience is renewing online is a good deal as long as you wait until a couple of weeks before your contract ends. But, if you don't currently have a retention discount you should start by calling BT at 0800 800 030, choose that you want to leave, and then negotiate a good customer discount. My discount is £8 a month and is automatically renewed with each contract renewal.

0 Ratings