cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Open Reach connected fibre line - what steps are involved next and how long does it take ?

I have moved into a new build property that has FTTP (Fibre to the property).

It has taken me 6 weeks of pestering the housing developer to get Open Reach to install the equipment and connect the line.

The modem is fitted and the line is connected, the modem has a solid green light for 'Power' and a flashing green light for 'PON'.

I was told I need to wait up to 3 days for the 'PON' light to become a solid green light (instead of a flashing green light).

Open Reach connected the outside of the house to the network on 10/12/15, but the 'PON' light is still flashing green 4 days later (14/12/15).

I assume Open Reach have done their job (finally, after 6 weeks of waiting) and I have contacted BT to get the line activated.

I rang BT FTTP on Friday (11/12/15) by calling 0800 5874 787 and they asked me for the serial number on the modem which I gave to them.  They told me that if the first step were to be completed today (which it wasn't) then I "might" have the internet by this Friday (18/12/15).  

BT called me today to say that this step has not been completed today and they will call back with an update within the next few days, so I assume I won't get an internet connection until next week now at the earliest ?  And thats the week running up to Xmas so I might not get an internet connection until the new year, which is 2 months since I requested it.

I work from home 2 days a week because the office is 50 miles away (a mininimum of a 1 hour drive each way).  But to work from home I need an internet connection, so for the last 6 weeks I have had to commute 5 days a week.  The other concern is that my employer might change their mind about allowing me to work from home 2 days a week as I have had to commute to the office 5 days a week due to the lack of internet connection at home.

I am confused by all the steps that are required to activate the line, having waited 6 weeks for Open Reach to do their job.

Can anyone explain what is required for the internet connection to be completed and how long it should take ?  I keep getting told different time scales and they always turn out to take longer than they have told me.

What exactly am I waiting for ?  The "PON" light has been flashing green for the last 4 days.  Have Open Reach done their job or is their a problem ?  What do BT need to do to get the internet connection finally working ?  And how long can I expect this to take ?

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Open Reach connected fibre line - what steps are involved next and how long does it take ?

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

Re: Open Reach connected fibre line - what steps are involved next and how long does it take ?

Hi Freeflyer,

I am really sorry to hear that about the problems you have had with your order.

I've dropped you a private message, which includes the link to our order team. You can chat with them online.  This order team is based in the UK and will own your complaint until everything is sorted out.

Should you have any further problems after speaking with this team please let us know.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 30

So I called BT today and spent 40 min on the phone talking to someone and regulary being put on hold whilst they tried to find out what the hell is going on.

They told me that the property is showing as "not ready for service" so are unable to place the order for broadband.

Open Reach installed the equipment in the property nearly 2 weeks ago (3/12/15) and connected the outside line nearly a week ago (10/12/15) .

But the PON LED is still flashing since the outside line was connected 5 days ago, despite being told by the developer that it can take 24hours to turn solid green whilst it uploads overnight and then told by BT that it can take up to 3 days to turn solid green.

From the call to BT today, I was told that they have filled out a form which is sent to Open Reach to resolve the issue of the status showing as "not ready for service".

They also suggested I contact the housing developer to chase Open Reach. Its a pain having to go through the developer to pass messages on to Open Reach as the developer is as bad as Open Reach and BT !  They all blame each other for the delay.

BT said that the developer have to tell Open Reach that the site is ready for service, then Open Reach do something so that it shows as ready for service on BTs system.

Ive contacted my housing developer but like I say, they are as bad as Open Reach so its a long, difficult task to get anything done.

Its now just over a week until Xmas so people are winding down and preparing for the Xmas break.

I cant see this being resolved until next year now, which will be over 2 months since I initially requested the broadband connection.

If I worked as poorly as this in my job, I would be sacked !

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 30

@freeflyer Did you contact the UK order team that was linked to you by PaddyB in PM?
0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 30

I used the online chat last week but was told that I need to call the BT customer support as the online chat were unable to help!
0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 30

So I contacted the developer who spoke to Open Reach (Open Reach will not deal with me directly so I have to go through the developer!).  And this is the response I got...

"I have spoken to the Openreach men on the development and they have done all their work. It is now a matter of waiting for the system to upload your details. Unfortunately, we have absolutely no control over this, but I have been told it should only take a few days at most.

The information you have been given from BT is not correct.

Please keep an eye on the lights and as soon as both are solid, you will be showing on the BT system.

Regrettably, there is no more we can do our end I’m sorry."

It's becoming a blame game again, with BT blaming the developer/Open Reach and the developer/Open Reach blaming BT !

Open Reach completed the work 6 days ago now so that has well exceeded the expected time of "2 days at the most"!?

0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 30

This is the response from the live chat...

"After investigating the images I can see this is a fibre to the home property, I am sorry but the team trained to deal with this do not operate over chat only on calls. Their number is 0800 800 150 and ask to speak to the fibre to the premises team or if you prefer I can call you and transfer you through?"

"I am sorry this is the only team that can deal with these type of properties I am not trained on this and no chat team are trained. They can only be dealt with by calling this team."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 30

was that after using the phone number you received from the mods PM?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 30

I never recevied a phone number, only a link to live chat who arent trained to deal with fibre to the home.

I have just spoken to BT again, specifically to the 'Fibre to the home' team.

BT are telling me that the line is showing as 'not ready for service' so they cannot place an order for broadband.

BT say that "the developer and Open Reach have to update the exchange details to say that the line is ready to accept an order".

There needs to be two green solid lights on the modem, but at the moment the 'PON' light is flashing green which means it is not ready for service.

BT are adomant that the responsibility lies with the developer and Open Reach. But the developer and Open Reach are not taking any responsibility and saying there is nothing more they can do.
0 Ratings