Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simonjr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

OpenReach What a Farce

Some background information first:-

I live in a small North Yorkshire village eagerly awaiting Infinity to be installed, imagine my surprise when a 3rd party contractor started installing fibre and placing fibre distribution points on the telegraph poles Smiley Very Happy. Not only were we getting faster broadband but fibre to the the premises and upto 300MB download speeds, I'd have been happy with 20MB.

Another thing to mention is I manage the day to day operations of a network with 12,000 users based over several sites so I know a little about networks Smiley Wink and fibre connections.

Anyway against my better judgement I decided to re-join BT from my current provider seeing as they were the only one offering over 100MB (the lure was just too great). My reservations about BT are based on the appalling service and delays at the hands of OpenReach when connecting remote sites at work (the last one took 12 months). Virgin don't seem to have this problem and are very easy to work with but don't cover everywhere.

On the 21/05/2015 I placed the order for Phone and 200MB Broadband, I was derided at work and had the mickey taken relentlessly, mainly along the lines of 'never be able to work from home again'Smiley Sad

From this point it started to go wrong

initial Visit

OpenReach engineer turned up to survey the external work which was to be done the following day. To make this easier I arranged for access to my next door neighbours garden which involved removing a fence panel and shift a couple of dozen paving slabs to make ladder access easier. Engineer turns up next morning to apologise that he had been allocated to another job nearby (he felt he owed it to me the customer to come in person because of the pre-visit slab shifting I had to do.). He promised to come back the same day if time allowed and he could get the job allocated. Two hours later he was back due to an issue with his other jobSmiley Happy.

I made him a cuppa, discussed fibre installs as he worked and looked longingly at his network testing kit (oh for a piece of kit like that work Smiley Embarassed).

Anyway there was an issue with the fibre install that the 3rd party contractor had installed (engineer should me the test results). I was then told that if it wasn't fixed in time for the second appointment I would be informed beforehand.

I am not complaining about this engineer he was a star and it's a pity that the rest of my BT experience pales in comparison.

2nd appointment 9 days later

Surprisingly the engineer didn't showSmiley Mad I waited until late afternoon (hope springs eternal don't you know). Contacted BT to be told that an engineer had tested the fibre from the exchange and it had failed so cancelled the appointment without letting me know. I explained I was aware of the fault after the initial visit and that I wasn't pleased about wasting a days leave. I was informed it would be escalated to a manager and they would call me the following day.

First Call

The manager informed me it would be a couple of weeks before I would get an update, never mind an installation date because it had to go back to planning. At this point I thought things go wrong give them the benefit of the doubt.

I asked if the services I had requested for my voice line could be activated to be told it wasn't possible due to having an incomplete order on the system.

Second Call

After 17 days I had heard nothing so decided to call. The gentleman on the other hand said OpenReach wouldn't respond to a query as the they had put a note on for the 1st July. Now I was starting to get annoyed & complained about the farce so far and mentioned the missing phone services.

He then offered to add the services for me, when I told him that I was told it wasn't possible he said it could be done but he would need to speak to speak to two or three different departments so he would need to put me on hold. Ten minutes later it was sorted and I would get a call on the 1st about the broad band. Why was I told it couldn't be done 2 and a half weeks earlier.Smiley Mad

Third Call

On the 29th June not the 1st of July OpenReach rangSmiley Surprised. They wanted to organise a date for the external install, do they have a clue whats going on. Not a chance. I explained that the external install was complete but a downstream failure caused the 'light test'to fail.

He then went into condescending mode assuring me the fibre had not been installed and the engineer had probably only fitted the outside box. Nothing winds me up more than somebody speaking to me like i'm an idiot especially when its a subject I'm well versed in. After explaining to the imbecile on the phone I had watched the engineer 'blow' the fibre and looked at the test results he started to twig that I knew what I was talking about. He then started to back track a bit and said that they would still need to come out first to check the external work and that the engineer would be getting an easy appointment. The Visit was organised for the 2nd of July with the final install on the 6th.

Fourth Call

Received a call on the 2nd saying that even though the appointment had been made no engineer had been allocated so the final install on the 6th would need to be cancelled.

At this point two engineers are 200 hundred yards away and they haven't time to do a ten minute 'light test', once again I had to explain the external work had been completed apart from the test. Now I'm annoyed I had to get permission from a director to have the Monday off it was company strategic planning day which was compulsory (glad he owed me a couple of favours). I informed the lady that i was considering cancelling the order as they couldn't seem to fulfill it. Making it worse she said they would try to do it Friday but if not they would ring me Monday to cancel that days appointment. Told her that wasn't acceptable and she said I would get a call the following day with an update.

Fifth and final call (so far)

Received a call this morning informing me that they were unable to come out to do the external install and they would need to cancel Mondays appointment. Light the blue touch paper and stand back, Now I'm Angry.

How many times do I have to explain that the external work is done and it only needs testing. Anyway The call ended with me threatening to cancel the order because they couldn't fulfill it in a reasonable time, if it wasn't completed by end of play Monday.

The BT operative wouldn't commit and said it's sometimes possible to do both parts on the same day. He wasn't convincing and I think I have just seen a pig fly past.

I truly wish I had stayed with my current provider. I know they all pretty much have to use OpenReach but at least the customer care is good not like BT's level of incompetence which must be incredibly difficult to achieve.

I'm sure that if I try and cancel i'll be liable for the term of the contract which will be expensive but do I want to be tied to BT? I don't think it's unreasonable for me to cancel if they can't provide service after seven weeks.

If OpenReach weren't a virtual monopoly i'm sure they would go bust what sane person would want to deal with them. I'm pretty sure I will end up in ADR (alternative dispute resolution) and it escalating to OfCom. I'm determined not to pay any termination charges for something that's not been provided.

Sorry for the long rant, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Simon

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: OpenReach What a Farce

I am sure you realise that this a customer to customer forum for bt retail/ consumer customers.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Simonjr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Not sure what point you're trying to make. The install in question is a consumer install and there are several other threads about OpenReaches incompetence.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

no one here can help you as that this a customer to customer self help forum
0 Ratings
Simonjr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Aren't the mods BT employees who pick up cases where posters are getting no joy from normal channels. Plenty of examples on this forum of that.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

yes they are BT employees who work on by invitation only contact method they do not however read every post  

If they do invite you  after you have sent their contact form via their link you will have a typical 3 /5 working days wait for a personal reply from them by email or phone 

0 Ratings
Simonjr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Fingers crossed they pick it up. Getting nowhere with normal channels. Reading between the it seems that OpenReach do what they want and answer to no one leaving BT retail staff to deal with the fallout from truly appalling customer service. Not one of them yet has apologised for the engineer no show or the cancelling of appointments. What's funny though is that the OpenReach engineers I have dealt with on installs have all been fine with good customer service just doesn't seem to apply to the backend staff.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 19

I have to say that BT won't be quaking in their boots at your threat to cancel.  Like all the ISPs, they lose customers all the time, and also pick up new customers leaving other ISPs.  Losing another one will make no real difference to them.

If the service has not been activated, you can cancel it without penalty.  If you've been sent any kit, you will have to return it.  You might have to pay for any work that's been done so far to provide the service.  You are only locked into the minumum term of the contract on the day the service goes live.

0 Ratings
Simonjr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Thanks for the cancelation info ectophile. According to them they haven't done anything yet so they shouldn't be a charge ;-). I know too well they will not be bothered about my cancellation.

I deal with them quite a bit at work and they are an absolute nightmare, we only use them now if there is absolutely no alternative. We spend around £80,000 a year and they don't give a monkeys.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 19

Hi simonjr, 

Thanks for your posting. 

I am sorry to hear about the problems with your order. Your post certainly does not make for great reading. 

Can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch to let you know what is happening. 

Thanks,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings