cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Out of Contract Yearly Price Increase

Hi all, I just have a quick question. I am currently out of contract with BT on a good price. But I have been offered a faster speed for a cheaper deal. I just want to ask if I stay out of contract will I be affected by the annual price increase at the end of March? Does it make a difference if I am in or out of contract in regards to the annual price increase?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Out of Contract Yearly Price Increase

im not a rep, but until one replies, my guess (on years of experience) that you will still get the yearly price increases like everyone else does, mine started at £55 and its now almost £70 (in contract), so in contract or not you should get the increases, mine has 28 days left, hence im here to ask how/when best to move ISP lol... I can get 900Mbps for £38 on Vodafone... but I aint risking that (congested networks) at that cheap lol, Iam aiming for Plusnet at £49 as Ive had them before.

good luck
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

If you are outside a minimum term , simply check your previous bills , if an increase was applied in March for the April bill , then although you may be outside  of any minimum term you are  still bound by the T&C’s.

If you have been outside of a minimum term for a few years , and you didn’t want to be bound by these new T&C’s , when it was published these increases were coming along ( every BT customer was advised )  , the notice period before it’s implementation was such , that there that would have been the time to reject the changes by moving to another company, the announcement timing gave enough notice that anyone approaching the end of a minimum term also had  time to do something if they didn’t want to be bound by it , those that didn’t effectively move accepted the new T&C’s.

Some products ( like the social tariff ) were not affected.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I just want to know in general, if I am out of contract in March 2024 will the CPI + 3.9% be added?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

If you were a customer before March 2023 and an increase was applied , then another will be applied in 2024 but obviously no one knows what inflation will be , so the size of the increase cannot be known ….in general an increase will happen , but specifically you can check your own previous bills because you may be on a tariff that the increases don’t apply to , it’s pretty simple , if last year your price went up , it will again , if it didn’t go up then it won’t go up using the CPI +% , but any price can go up if you are advised of it , even if  it changes what price you agreed to  but you can leave in those circumstances, but those deals were replaced ( giving the appropriate notice) the standard BT contracts now ( and for the last couple of years ) have the increase built into the agreement.

Why don’t you know if your price increased 5 months ago ?, 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@mrdaveyywrote:

I just want to know in general, if I am out of contract in March 2024 will the CPI + 3.9% be added?

Hi @mrdaveyy   The simple answer is yes, you will still pay the increase next year. That is because you are still in contract but outside the minimum term. You will be on a 31 day rolling contract.

Message 7 of 10

Unless they are on a social tariff
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thanks! My BT account says I'm out of contract, does that still mean I am on a 31 rolling contract?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@mrdaveyy wrote:

Yes. Everybody has an increase whether in a fixed term contract or not and yes even if you are on a 30 day contract which you will be if you are not on a Fixed Term contract.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

It's a rolling contract but you can leave without any exit fee I believe.

If you like the offer and are happy with BT, even after the next CPI uplift, you would probably still be saving as the out of contact price would always be more than a fixed deal I imagine. 

0 Ratings