cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamilleH
Message 1 of 5

Over one month and 4 missed deadlines for BT phoneline and broadband

Apologies in advance for the length of the post but I want to ensure it encapsulates everything I have had to endure at the hands of BT.

I ordered BT infinity online along with having my number ported over from Virgin on 5th September. BT site said installation date would be 16th September, that day came and went and no sign of an engineer... called BT to be told there was a delay in getting the number ported over and they will advise of new installation date on Monday.

I called Virgin on Monday 19th to ask about the number being released and get told it's scheduled for 22nd Sept. Great I think and call BT as their website is still not updated. BT confirm the same, and at the same time the order management guy says you can actually get FTTP and changes my order to FTTP.

Tuesday I check the site and my order is all gibberish, I call BT again and get told the system may not have updated, wait another 24 hours.

Login Wednesday and my order has completely disappeared, I call BT to be told that my order has been cancelled. As to the reason why, nobody could tell me so a new order was put in without any mention of having my number ported over or making it ex directory. I ask BT what about the number migration scheduled for tomorrow morning and BT tell me not to worry as my services won't be disrupted.

Come the morning of the 22nd and my phoneline dies without fail. Spent 5 hours on the phone with both BT and Virgin on two mobiles to find out who has my number and when my phone line will be installed...

BT are adamant that it's with Virgin, Virgin say BT now have custody. In the end BT admit they have it but can't assign it till the Broadband and phoneline get installed. Not not only had they failed to inform Virgin not to release the number thus taking down my phoneline but the engineer failed to show up yet again to atleast install the phoneline and apply the number when available rather than cancelling the entire order. 

Furious, I call BT yet again and get promised a manager from order management will personally keep me posted until resolution. This manager also promises repeatedly that it will be FTTP and not FTTC and get a new installation date of 6th October for both phoneline and broadband. Unsuprisingly no call backs or any updates via text or email. 

Wednesday 28th I get a 30 sec phone call from someone saying his supervisor asked him to provide me an update, which concludes in both my broadband and phoneline are due to be installed on the 6th as scheduled and he hangs up. This is at 6:15 pm. I login to the BT Website only to discover that the phoneline is due to be installed tomorrow morning. Not impressed by the lack of communication I call BT yet again to confirm if it just a glitch in the system or if I do need to take another day off. The woman first repeats that both services are due to be installed on the 6th ,when I insist she recheck she comes back saying it actually is for both broadband and phone line.

Thursday 29th is my fourth day off from work, the BT engineer arrives and says he is only going to install the phoneline and not the broadband as it was never assigned to him and is a different team. He gets the line running and leaves, only for it to have a new number and not the one I asked for to be ported over.

Another phone call to BT ends in them stating the phone number will be applied on the 6th of October which is when the broadband is due to be activated. When I ask why my existing number can't be applied sooner than that I get hung up on.

Monday 3rd October I login only to realise that my broadband order has been cancelled yet again! After alot of digging around on the internet and before calling BT I realise that the phoneline has been connected directly to the exchange and is showing up as Exchange only line thus only suitable for ADSL up to 8 mbps. 

I call BT and ask them to rectify the mistake quoting all the various BT openreach and other sites I used to identify the mistake and I get told by order management to log a fault with the phone line team as there is nothing they can do. When I ask to speak to a manager as I shouldn't be having to constantly pinpoint mistakes made by BT I get told it is end of their shift and a manager will call back by 11:00 am on 4th October.

After waiting till 1:00 pm I get hold of someone on live chat and give him the site link along with the Cabinet number I should have been connected and ask him to rectify the phone install. Again I get bounced around 3-4 teams and get promised an update on the 7th of October...

I have had enough of BT's incompetency and unprofessionalism despite being assured it is being dealt with on a priority basis due to an existing complaint on the account. It's become a daily ritual of being on hold for average of 1 hr spending 30 mins explaining from scratch the issue to the person on the phone as no one bothers updating any notes on the account.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Over one month and 4 missed deadlines for BT phoneline and broadband

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

If you now have a BT Retail phone number then

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Portting a number from Virgin can take some time, assuming they will release it.It cannot be done until there is a working line to port it to.

0 Ratings
JamilleH
Message 3 of 5

I've already checked several times in the past and know for a fact both the cabinets serving my postcode and address checker confirm that FTTC is available.

What's happened is the engineer was told to install a phone line without being told about the Broadband requirement so he went ahead and installed it as an Exchange only line. You can see the results below:

BT.JPG

Address checker from BT results:

BT Address check.JPG

Using the landline number for the recently installed BT phoneline confirms the screw up!

BT number.JPG

Now I'm getting the run around from BT to call different teams and pay £130 to get it rectified!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

You can only be connected to one cabinet, its not possible to be moved to another, as the external network is fixed.

If you have entered your BT Retail phone number into the checker, and it says there is no Fibre available, it means your house is connected to an EO (Exchange Only) cable, and there is no cabinet in your routing. This would be the only routing that would have been available on installatiion.

There is nothing you can do about this.You should be able to get ADSL2+.

Does it show FTTP is available?  FTTP on demand is not viable for home use, owing to the high installation and rental costs.

0 Ratings
JamilleH
Message 5 of 5

The FTTP team have already confirmed it's not available for my postcode. Why it's taken BT over a month and 3 cancelled orders to tell me they can't provide the service is beyond me and a complete joke. 

0 Ratings