cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sethsmith
Message 1 of 3

Overcharged on final direct debit + getting no response

So, early last month I decided to switch suppliers. I was duly notified by BT that they had received the request and confirmed the switchover date. A week or so after this letter of confirmation I received my next phone bill from BT, charging me for the full month's phone + internet, despite the fact that my switchover date would occur around 3-4 days into this period. I attempted to contact BT customer services to check on this and my actual final bill, however despite leaving repeated call back requests and attempting live assistance I kept getting no response and running out of time in the day for when customer services are open (I work till nearly 7pm so cannot just sit waiting on a phone for an answer).

After running around in circles through the questions on the website, it appeared that usual procedure is for BT to adjust the final direct debit to meet the final bill, which I would have been ok with. What I am not ok with is that they have taken a full months debit of nearly £40, then issued a new bill for <£6, part of which states they have not received my payment for the last bill! They are then advising me they will deduct this £5.68 via direct debit on the 24th of july! If i check on the My payements screen, I can clearly see the £39.64 I last paid on 18th July.

Does anybody have an advice on how to get this resolved?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Overcharged on final direct debit + getting no response

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Overcharged on final direct debit + getting no response

You don't have to give 30 days' notice if you're switching to another supplier.  It's normally just the 14 days cooling off period that the new supplier must offer before grabbing the line.

BT always bills one month in advance at the current rate, and they seem to have no way of doing otherwise.  If the bill then needs correcting, they do it the following month.

0 Ratings