cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LollyB
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

PLEASE HELP - Service provider fault - how to get an engineer round?

We are at breaking point!!!!

My lovely 81 year old Dad has tried to switch to BT infinity. He had a regular BT service before, but as of the 30th April he was meant to have BT infinity. HOWEVER, this is not the case. I spent last weekend there to try to help, but after BT sending out a new Hub, there still is no connection. I spent near 4 hours on the phone to India where (very frustratingly) they went through the same tests each time, despite me telling them that they had already been done, and no one could fix the issue. It seems the hub is working but the 'service provider' is not. We can get through the first two set up stages but never get past the 3rd. We get a BT Wholesale page suggetion there are 5 different service provider problems. Poor Dad has tried again today to ask an engineer to come out and still they insist on doing the same tests and insist there is something wrong with the 'device' (computer). There clearly isn't as we have tried several other devices and none of them can connect, so what else could the problem be? I think it's an engineer problem but how the hell do you get an engineer out, there is no UK number to call. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did you manage to solve it and how?

It's enough to send you round the twist or leave BT!

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: PLEASE HELP - Service provider fault - how to get an engineer round?

Welcome to the forum

Is the light on the hub blue? Have you tried connecting to test socket with new filter?

Customer services. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
LollyB
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Yes the light on the hub is blue and I believe the filter is new. The service he had before was all working fine so nothing has changed in the house only a new (well, 2 in fact) hub and a new filter.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 9

0 Ratings
LollyB
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks Stew, no I haven't but as there was no network we couldn't access the web! I'll have a look and try to talk Dad through the set up but pretty sure everything is set up as it should be. When I logged into the computer's network device settings page it did say that it was connected which would suggest that everything had been set up correctly. He lives 2 hours drive away!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Moderator advised
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi LollyB,

Did you manage to get this sorted? If you need any help please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your Dad's details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
LollyB
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your reply Neil, if we had known about the forum earlier we may have got further quicker.
Apparently the phone line is now down and the earliest we can expect an engineer is next Wednesday.
I have to say the customer service has been unbelievably atrocious. To think that they have had a problem for almost a fortnight and it has taken my Dad, my brother and myself 10 calls all lasting at least one hour, to be asked the same questions and to get absolutely nowhere. My Dad is hard of hearing but I found it difficult to understand the customer support rep and he found it difficult to understand me. I have no problem with Indian call centres but this was ridiculous. My elderly parents live in a small town 120miles from me and although they can live without broadband a phone line is pretty essential part of modern life. Yes, they have a mobile phone but they have paid for a service and they are simply not getting one. Trying to tell BT and get someone to do something about it has been enough to want to cancel altogether. It's such a shame BT has got such a terrible reputation for this, surely they can provide a better service than this? No doubt there won't be any compensation for the time we all have wasted trying to resolve this - how can you compensate for 10 hours of pure frustration?

If you wish to help you could raise this with your managers as an example of how to avoid this happening to someone else.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi LollyB,

I'm sorry to hear the line is not working, I appreciate the inconvenience this can cause. Our offer to look into this is still open if you want to send us in your Dad's details.

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings