cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oli3333
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

PRICE INCREASES - CAN I LEAVE WITHOUT PENALTY

In March 2021 BT are increasing their prices by RPI plus 3.9% - can i terminate my contract at this time and leave without penalty charges being applied to my account?

My contract is due to end in January 2022 so i would still have 9 months to run if i left in March.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
TheRealBudski
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: PRICE INCREASES - CAN I LEAVE WITHOUT PENALTY

My understanding is that this only applies to contracts that started in September 20. 
If you are in one of these new contracts then you can’t leave because it’s written into the contract. 

-Richie-
Guru
Message 3 of 4

@oli3333wrote:

In March 2021 BT are increasing their prices by RPI plus 3.9% - can i terminate my contract at this time and leave without penalty charges being applied to my account?

My contract is due to end in January 2022 so i would still have 9 months to run if i left in March.

That depends what price increase BT apply to you, you'll be notified around January 2021
If it's CPI only then no, you can't leave without penalty, you agreed to them terms.
If it's CPI +3.9% then yes, that wasn't what you agreed to when you started the current agreement.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

As above. Those of us whose current deals go beyond March will learn before then if BT want to apply the 3.9% as well as CPI. There are those who think BT don't have the right to do that but I don't buy it; the T&C allow them to make changes any time subject to customers being permitted to cancel without penalty if they suffer material detriment. We'll see.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.