Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
doctorg
Message 1 of 4

Paper Bill - Have I been phished?

Go to solution

Hi,

I occasionally have to help my visually impaired father with his bills.

His BT account is set to 'paper only'. This does not seem to stop bill reminders being emailed to him.

Some of these emails may well be fraudulent (its quite difficult to tell).

Last week he started getting phonecalls from somebody claiming to be BT telling him he was late on a bill. He told them he would pay if the bill was posted to him. A few days go by - still no posted bill.

Yesterday, the broadband internet connection was stopped. A message appeared on the screen saying there was an outstanding bill.

I tried calling a number provided but was greeted with an automated service that didn't allow me to explain his situation.

In the end, I decided to try and pay the bill online and be done with it. I used my smartphone to try and access his account and found a message saying 'we are unable to retrieve billing information'... this all seemed very suspicious to me.

Out of desperation, I tried clicking on one of the BT emails he had recieved and found myself able to pay the bill online.

Hours later, still no internet. I realise I may have been phished (whatever the terminology is).

I cancel my card and put the loss of money down to experience.

But this morning, the internet is up and running again. I'm genuinely not sure if I've paid my father's bill or if i've been duped by an elaborate scam.

Q1- Should he be getting email reminders if his account is set to 'paper only'?

Q2- How do you speak to someone human if you think an account may have been hacked?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Paper Bill - Have I been phished?

Go to solution

Hi @doctorg,

It sounds like his preferred communication method is email and his bills are paper. He would have received a paper bill first and when the bill went overdue he would receive email contact and also telephone calls asking for payment. I wouldn't worry about it too much but, to be safe, contact our billing chat team on the below link to confirm if I'm right:

BT Billing Chat Team

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
doctorg
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Very kind of you to take the time.

Problem almost solved.

Managed to speak to someone human that confirmed that I had actually paid the bill online. So i hadn't been phished/hacked/hoodwinked.

Still no way of seeing that payment online... which is a bit rubbish really.

thanks again.

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for coming back and letting me know @doctorg. I genuinely wanted to know what happened.

I do like your idea about being able to see your payments online but, at this time, you can only see the payments on your next bill providing there's an online billing account set up. You can still have the online bills and postal copies if needed.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings