cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrfitz85
Message 1 of 6

Paying for nothing, ridiculous

My girlfriend and I have just moved into our first flat together in Surrey and bought a standard broadband package from BT. I should point out that I currently am needing to work full time  in the West Country and my girlfriend works full time in London. 

So one of our first jobs was to choose a phone package of which we chose BT there wasn't much different in price for the packages with competitors so we chose for BT as we had heard horror stories of other customer services. Turns out BT is no different.

Our first issue was that when we ordered our package we went for paperless and everything would be sent by email however no confirmation arrived. When I called up the call centre they were less than useless as they kept telling me they wouldn't help me without an account number which I couldn't access as they had not sent the email. I called the sales team back and they were able to sort it out for me using their personal work email address instead of the automated system.
So we waited for our package to arrive which was as prompt as suggested and everything went live as the tracker did however our phone line was dead. No tone nothing. So we reported the fault which said they would contact me by EMAIL with any updates, I though this would be useful as being both full time and myself no where near the property could sort no trouble. So far I have received 1 email and about 11 phonecalls since last Wednesday when the fault was reported all at ridiculous times. 3:30 on a Friday, 11:30 on a Friday 8:30 am on Sunday. Many voicemails were left saying they needed access to the property but with no contact numbers. When I did chance answer my mobile which in my rural work place is very rare due to poor signal I asked the call centre operator to call me back in 5 minutes so I could find a place in the village where there is a decent signal. He hung up and proceeded to call back immediately not allowing me anytime to find signal before asking when someone could visit trying to explain there was no one at the property until Monday seemed futile and he seemed to think so to as mid conversation he hung. 

After missing several phone calls over the weekend (as I said I am in a rural area and was really unavailable over the phone all weekend hence why I asked for email updates) I managed to take a call where the call centre person said they thought the fault was fixed so could we try our phone and if there was still a problem to call a number. My faith is restored as he even made clear that my partner would be able to speak to the call centre (as I have heard people have previously had issues with BT not dealing with the named person on the bill) on Monday should she need to.

Sadly the phoneline was not working still so my girlfriend called BT this evening to ask the engineer to come out only for the call centre operative to tell her she "didn't understand her request", and instead reported as a fault. So we are back to square one. We appreciate that it takes time for these things to get fixed but it appears that sheer in competency and bureaucracy on BT's part is the main cause for any delay. 

If this wasn't bad enough BT had the balls to charge our account for a months line rental on Friday, whilst is simply ridiculous as we have not been able to use the package. We were considering calling and asking to cancel our package this evening and going with a competitor but it seems that BT don't even have the decency to offer a sensible cooling off period as soon as it goes live that's it so as apparently we are "live" we are now tied in to our contract. What a joke

John
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Paying for nothing, ridiculous

If you pay by Direct Debit then the advice given on this thread may be relevant.

0 Ratings
mrfitz85
Message 3 of 6

On which thread Reed? I cant see a link?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

the forum moderators will get involved in this case as soon as they read your post they will post there reply and give you a contact link to them
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

I tried/meant to post a link to this thread http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Direct-debit-taken-today-assured-3-times-it-wouldn-t-until... ; I don't know what went wrong.  It was the advice about the Direct Debit guarantee I thought might help.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi mrfitz85,

I'm really sorry about the fault with your line and the way this has been dealt with. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and I will be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings