Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john16
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Phantom call

Go to solution

Just checked my bill and found that i have been charged £0.50 for a phone call today to number 123 at 14.58 this afternoon. I never use my landline for calling and there was no one in the house at that time, can anyone explain where this has come from ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phantom call

Go to solution

@john16wrote:

Just checked my bill and found that i have been charged £0.50 for a phone call today to number 123 at 14.58 this afternoon. I never use my landline for calling and there was no one in the house at that time, can anyone explain where this has come from ?

123 is for speaking clock.

(Was this today, or yesterday? I wasn't aware that the billing system listed calls that recent).

There has been some chat that engineers (any contract people) may have been dialling 123 to check for call access, when they should be using freefone numbers).

So are you saying that you make no (chargeable) phone calls at all? If not, then that will be in your favour if you dispute the bill.

john16
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Sorry for late reply, yes call was on 9th. There was engineer across the street yesterday running new cable out to a house.  I live on my own and i was out all afternoon.

0 Ratings
Tezz
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Give BT a call, and question this to them.  Does not sound right.

0 Ratings
john16
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Tried online chat and there was 13 min. wait so gave up, will try and phone tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Tezz
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Did it give you the option, of them calling you back, rather than waiting in the que?  If it did, it might help.  I know the ques can be long.  I have been in long ones.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

0 Ratings
john16
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Tried online chat again today and getting charge refunded, may i add that it was more about the principle than the 50p.

0 Ratings
Tezz
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I agree with you, that it’s the principle.  You should not have to pay more than you should.  I remember once, many years ago, we had a fault, the engineer came and fixed, but later we found out, which was a night mare, that he crossed the wires with someone else in the next street, so all the calls we did, went on their bill, and theirs on ours.  Was told the engineer was only a trainee, and should have not been on the job.  At that time, we had the fault, which was intermittent for about 1 year, before it was fixed, asked for compensation, they only offered £7 something, so I wrote a stinking letter to BT, after that letter, was given think it was £100 pounds.  Glad you got it sorted.  Take care.🙂

@john16wrote:

Tried online chat again today and getting charge refunded, may i add that it was more about the principle than the 50p.

john16
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Tezz for the comments , pleased you got yours sorted.

0 Ratings