cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gran8
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Phishing - and they know my BT account number!!!!!

In the last two days, I have had three calls, all purporting to be from "BT customer service" when asked, they have been able to give me my full BT account number.....I saw elsewhere here that there is a suggestion that some account details have been sold by BT service centre personnel, is this true?? The calls I had were obviously phishing calls, but the fact that they have my account number is very concerning. I have tried ringing BT customer service, but the recorded message tells me there is a 20 minute wait.....come on, BT, if there is any truth in this criminal activity, please tell us!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phishing - and they know my BT account number!!!!!

@gran8 wrote:

In the last two days, I have had three calls, all purporting to be from "BT customer service" when asked, they have been able to give me my full BT account number.....I saw elsewhere here that there is a suggestion that some account details have been sold by BT service centre personnel, is this true?? The calls I had were obviously phishing calls, but the fact that they have my account number is very concerning. I have tried ringing BT customer service, but the recorded message tells me there is a 20 minute wait.....come on, BT, if there is any truth in this criminal activity, please tell us!!

The SUGGESTION is true, but I don't believe anyone has any PROOF that is is happening, but I would certainly complain to BT about these calls.

The more reports BT recieve of these scam calls the more likely Security at BT (I hope) will attempt to try and set up a sting to trace these d***heads.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 3 of 9

@gran8 wrote:

The calls I had were obviously phishing calls, .....

What was obvious about them?  Are you sure it wasn't BT trying to sell you something?

0 Ratings
Catcher
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Looks like you're going to be an easy target...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@A1944 wrote:

@gran8 wrote:

The calls I had were obviously phishing calls, .....

What was obvious about them?  Are you sure it wasn't BT trying to sell you something?

BT do not cold call customers.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 6 of 9

@Catcher wrote:

Looks like you're going to be an easy target...

Hee! Hee! 

I didn't say I wasn't suspicious of everything as well, but I was just curious as to exactly what it was that made the OP suspicious in this instance.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 7 of 9

@gg30340 wrote:
BT do not cold call customers.

They certainly did a couple of years ago, because that was how I first became aware of Infinity being available to me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I was sure I had read somewhere that BT had stopped cold calling but I stand corrected as it appears they still do. I have found this about their marketing and that you can opt out if you want.

http://home.bt.com/pages/navigation/privacypolicy.html?page=Marketing

0 Ratings
gran8
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Definitely phishing, because when I asked for a UK number to call to confirm he was from BT, he gave me 1800900900. When I told him that was not a UK number, he put the phone down. 1471 says " you were called....". However they got my account number, they have it, and I didn't give it to them!

0 Ratings