Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mystifyme
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Phone and broadband order

Go to solution
Hi. I've recently placed and order with bt for phone and broadband. I've checked the order status every day and it says "add", does anyone know what this means?
I've been given an engineer date and a new phone number ready for install. Have I been accepted? Its not very clear and I need to know so I can cancel my old broadband. Thank you in advance.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Phone and broadband order

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @Mystifyme

You must not cancel your old broadband with another provider, as BT Retail will notify them that BT are taking over the line. The only exception would be, if your old provider was Virgin Media, as they do not use the Openreach network.

If you cancel, before BT have informed them, then there will be pending "cease" on the line, and your BT order will fail.

If you have been given a date, and a phone number, then your BT order has been accepted.

You should be able to track the progress of your order via MyBT.

Does that help?

0 Ratings
Mystifyme
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Yes thank you. My present provider is virgin, that's why I need to cancel it, but I was unsure of my other acceptance, so yes you have cleared that up for me thank you. Do you know what add means on my order status? that is what is wrote on there when I check the progress.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Has there ever been a BT line in your property?

0 Ratings
Mystifyme
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
No, it's a new build, I have an engineer appointment for next week to fit it.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Mystifyme wrote:
No, it's a new build, I have an engineer appointment for next week to fit it.

Then, at a guess, I would say that the address is in the process of being added to the Openreach database, but I have asked a BT moderator to comment.

What broadband package have you ordered, as some new builds have a direct fibre into the property, with an Openreach box fitted on the wall inside?

0 Ratings
Mystifyme
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Thank you. It's the super fast fibre 2 broadband. It does already have the fibre running to the property yes. When the homes were built we could only use virgin at the time of moving in a few years ago, but my neighbours now have sky or bt aswell so there will be a box some where.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks, then you will have something similar to the picture below fitted. This would not apply to other people who have Sky broadband, as Sky do not sell FTTP (Fibre To The Premises)

People can get confused when the say they have a fibre connection, when its actually only a copper connection to a fibre cabinet, so you need to be clear what you are expecting.

ont.jpg

This is a fibre to the premises unit, so you may see this at some neighbouring properties.

0 Ratings
Mystifyme
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
I'm unsure to be honest, I definitely don't have one of those in my home, we only have the connections for virgin. I'm not very clued up with all of this technical stuff lol.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Mystifyme wrote:
I'm unsure to be honest, I definitely don't have one of those in my home, we only have the connections for virgin. I'm not very clued up with all of this technical stuff lol.

Those units are normally fitted when the property is build.

I would suspect that in your case, it only a copper connection to a fibre cabinet, and all that will be fitted is a master phone socket, similar to this.  Those arrows on the picture just indicate wher the clips are, should the cover ever need to be unclipped. That would be the same one that Openreach fit for other customers.

5c_1-reduced.jpg

0 Ratings