cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Phone and broadband problem

Go to solution

I’ve just bought a house, tried to set up bt and had my order cancelled. Something to do with the previous owner.  I called and they said they tried to take over the line but was told no.

I have tried again online but it says again they can see a working line connected at the property so it looks like they would try the same thing again. How do I get past this please?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Phone and broadband problem

Go to solution

I should add that I don’t need a landline necessarily 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

The current owners need to allow the line takeover to take place, assuming you have agreed to move in on that date. Its called a Working Line Takeover.

If they block the takeover, then your order will fail again.

You still need a line to supply broadband, but you do not have to take up the offer of a phone number.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you.  Does this mean that if I apply for broadband only this could still fail? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Yes as you need the landline to get broadband. You package just does include facility to make or receive calls

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, it makes no difference.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

But what if the owner of the line keeps saying no even though I own the house? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@LWnowLM wrote:

But what if the owner of the line keeps saying no even though I own the house? 

If you have moved in, then why would they still keep paying for their phone service, if they are not living there? They would keep getting billed by their provider.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I agree with the sentiment, but practicality-wise, where would I take this if it happens again? It’s a private road so Virgin do not supply.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@LWnowLM wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but practicality-wise, where would I take this if it happens again? It’s a private road so Virgin do not supply.

They should have received notification that someone want to take over their line. They may have prevented it the first time, for some reason. But once your order is submitted again, they will no longer be living there, so BT should be able to takeover the line.