cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Phone line hijacked

Hi, today my broadband stopped working. I have bt infinity 2. I've called BT and they say Vodafone has taken over my line. I've never asked anyone to take it over.. neither bt nor Vodafone could cancel the takeover order.

Now I've no internet. Bt just had me over the phone sign up for a new contact but the broadband won't be activated till the 14th. I have no way to connect to the internet in the mean time and I have flatmate here too that is now without internet.

Is there anything I can do or a complaint. My 4g package with bt is just 500mb a month so that will run out very soon.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone line hijacked

I've just been forced into a new 18 month contract with no special deal, downgraded to infinity 1 because the quoted price for infinity 2 was higher than what I was paying before. I just want to be able to use the internet. Am I able to ask for extra 4G free or something. I can tether my phone to laptop to get internet from the 4G.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 7

For Vodafone to take over the line you would of been notified with 14 days notice, BT would of tried calling you, sent an email, letter and a text message informing you another company is taking over the line, some people miss the call or don't have a mobile to recieve the text but emails and letters are hard to miss, did BT notify you and did you ignore it ?

BT can cancel the takeover if you contact them before it's too late, the cutoff is before 2pm 1 working day before the takeover.

If you were not informed of this then you could try calling tomorrow and ask if you qualify for 'priority back in service'.

0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

No notification. My mobile is with bt also no text. I pay my bills I don't see why a random company can take over my line and I have to make new contract to get internet back.
0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I will be getting a free Amazon eco but have no use for it.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 7

If you were not notified then you have no way to know about the takeover, so you would qualify for priority back in service, BT will be able to verify as all notifications sent are logged.

Ring 0800 800 150 and ask for the connections team, they're the team who can authorise an expedite of an order and refer you to the priority back in service team.

A random company can takeover the line though, BT are not to know you're not switching providers, also people move out of properties and forget to cancel services, so new occupiers then place working line takeovers, that is why it takes 14 days to switch, so you can be notified and stop any mistakes happening.

0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Ok, I understand the logic behind it. I have a very spotty bt wifi fon signal that im trying to connect to.

From me perspective it seems ridiculous though. Now if someone took over my gas and electricity bills might be less of a hassle.
0 Ratings