cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gameinn1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Possible to cancel online? Any mod help out?

Hi there

So I have a weird problem I was wondering if a mod can help with. After the price rise, I'd like to inform BT that I want to leave and go elsewhere. After looking around the only way appears to be the phone which is fair enough.

The problem is that the account is in my fathers name and he really doesn't use the phone at all or really care what the other family members do. I've also tried explaining to my mother who is apparently a joint account holder or something what is going on and how to switch but she just doesn't really understand what to say.

I also don't want to lie and say I'm not who I say I am to cancel the account. Is there any way some BT support staff read this and can arrange cancellation over email with my father/mother or call us at a convenient time and explain to my parents how to cancel?

Thank you

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
srpsrp
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Possible to cancel online? Any mod help out?

I was told you had to inform them before 6th August ( for some reason) so it might already be too late if you are on contract. TBH I didn't really get any hard sell just say you are going to Vodafone or somthing.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

The BT account would only be in the name of one person, and only they can speak to BT, if they are sure that they want to change providers. The only exception would be if they had lost capacity, and you had Power Of Attorney. BT would need to see that first.

If they are happy to pay the price increase, they there is nothing you can do. There is also the risk of losing their phone number if you change providers, which could cause problems.

I would not attempt to may any changes yourself, as its not your responsibility.

This is only a customer to customer help forum, and the BT moderators would not be able to assist with this issue.

0 Ratings
jje
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Just leave via a straightforward ISP swap and pay the remaining months of your BT acccount .

But i would contact BT billing and ask to be put on a joint account holder .

I have in the past only needing one of the account holders to speak with BT . Hello are you  xxx do you give uuu permision is all that they asked .

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

as @Keith_Beddoe said there is only 1 account holder anyone else is not an account holder just a person nominated by the account holder to speak on their behalf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jje
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Whatever it is its the simple way around the OPs problem .
I have done it three times in the last ten years .
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@jje the problem from the posts is the account holder does not want to move ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jje
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

OP says <<. After the price rise, I'd like to inform BT that I want to leave and go elsewhere>

Depending upon when price rise email was recived (.Thats in regard to the 30 days notice from date of email.)

I would phone up and add a person nominated by the account holder to speak on their behalf.

Once done this noninated person can phone the number and cancel on price rise grounds .Or negotiate a better deal with the loyalty team .

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Call BT and have you father beside you. You need to explain that he wants you to talk on his behalf. The customer service agent will no doubt ask to speak to him and ask him a couple of security questions to confirm his identity after which you should be able to deal with the cancellation on his behalf.

srpsrp
Expert
Message 10 of 15

I believe it's 30 days notice prior to the actual date of a price rise they send out the letters in plenty of time to make sure they get there.
0 Ratings