cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Possibly leaving BT less than 2 weeks before contract finishes. Will I get charged for equipment?

Hi,

Need to some advice please. My contract with BT finishes for broadband and BT TV on 27th July.

Had a phone from Sky (whom I used to be with) offering me a great deal on broadband / line rental / phone (which I very much doubt BT retentions will match) if I start the switching process by the end of June (next Thursday). I would start with Sky approx middle of July.

I realise I would have to pay approx 2 weeks of costs to BT from the middle of July to the 27th July, which is fine, but don't want to be lumbered with paying for a youview box and bt homehub because I left about 2 weeks or less before my contract finish date. I don't want to return the equipment either; I want to keep it.

Can anyone clarify whether I would have to pay for these items or not. I would be paying BT in essence until my contract finishes in any case, just like if I had stayed until the contract end date?

If I would be charged for the equipment and having to return them, it would not be worth swapping, and would just wait until my contract finished.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Possibly leaving BT less than 2 weeks before contract finishes. Will I get charged for equipment

I would let your contract complete first myself
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Re: Possibly leaving BT less than 2 weeks before contract finishes. Will I get charged for equipment

You will be charged for the equipment if you do not complete the minimum term, so you will need to wait until your contract ends, otherwise it could prove costly.

Did you call customer options and see if they would match the price?

0800 800 030

0 Ratings
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your help people !

I haven't phoned retentions yet, but will do that later this week, when I'll be in the last month of my contract.

OK, I'll hold back on the possible switching for a while.

If BT won't price match, then can I initiate the switch approx middle of July, as it takes about 2 weeks to switch, taking me past the 27th July contract end date? Or do you have to wait until your contract finishes completely before initiating the switch to avoid any charges?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

You'd need to check with your new provider.  There should be a 14 day "cooling off" period before the new contract starts.  Just make sure that the switch over doesn't take place early.

0 Ratings